Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: First week in release and combat improvements  (Read 4048 times)

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
First week in release and combat improvements
« on: October 01, 2012, 12:42:55 PM »

Hostile Takeover was released into the wild last week, and so far the latest v0.1.2 has been downloaded almost 300 times in 2 days. So that’s awesome. I’ve also received a bunch of great feedback and fixed various bugs.

The most pressing issue seems to be the combat. Simply put, for an assassin, you get killed way too easily in a gunfight with guards. So I’ve made three changes to address this: Your shooting animation is no longer interrupted when you take damage, your chance to hit has been improved, and AIs can’t deal you a critical one-shot kill anymore. I’ve also added damage indicators that show how much damage is dealt. This will all be in v0.1.3, which I’ll probably release when I’ve also fixed a bug with an infinite loop that freezes the game.

Click to enlarge

In the long run, I’ll be adding melee combat. The current idea is that if you’re standing right next to a target, an attack will automatically be with melee combat, while if the target is further away, it’s a ranged attack (i.e. shooting). Melee combat will also be used for sneaking up behind a target and slitting his throat or administering a sedative. For stealthy ranged attacks, I’ll probably also be adding a pistol with a silencer.

Lexus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://abandonedbutnotforgotten.wordpress.com/
Re: First week in release and combat improvements
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 08:17:45 PM »
F-yeah. Thank you for listening to ze feedback.

A2Creativity

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 01:03:54 PM »
Awesome.. can't wait for next release  ;D ;D

Cthulhu

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 01:06:35 PM »
I think you could do a little:

Code: [Select]
chmod -x history.txt
on the Linux64 (and probably 32 as well?)

I could drag and dropp the "electrical surge" thingy to the
car (while I was standing quite far away from it) but I don't
know how to retrieve it. Or what it is.

Does middle mouse button have any function? Like scrolling the
map? (I don't have scroll wheel, just middle click-button).

Sorry for brief post, and short play time, but I didn't have time to test properly.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 01:55:38 PM »
Won't history.txt open if it isn't set to be executable?

If you hover over the device in your inventory, doesn't it tell you what it does? And if you've placed it on the car, there should be a label over the car reading "Elecric Surge" when you're standing next to the car. Just click on that label to retrieve it. When you place it on the car, it should also show up on the left hand side of the screen to click on and activate the car's alarm.

Middle button doesn't do anything. Scroll wheel will scroll through your inventory (when you've got so much in it that it isn't all displayed).

Cthulhu

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 08:49:05 AM »
Won't history.txt open if it isn't set to be executable?
Nope, Folders need to be executable, and the executable binary file (and any script) but not text files, which should just be "rw". Reason I'm pointing it out is that when doing ls executable files usually show up as bold or something in the listing, which can hurt the eyes of the pedantic.   

And if you've placed it on the car, there should be a label over the car reading "Elecric Surge" when you're standing next to the car. Just click on that label to retrieve it. When you place it on the car, it should also show up on the left hand side of the screen to click on and activate the car's alarm.
I'll try that. I just remember standing quite far from the car when I clicked.

Middle button doesn't do anything. Scroll wheel will scroll through your inventory (when you've got so much in it that it isn't all displayed).
I really haven't played enough to make any requests or notice what works and what doesn't, but maybe clicking middle mouse should "grab" the map (if it doesn't serve any other function), so you can move the map this way. But as I said, this is not something I lacked or anything, just an idea.