Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: Manning turrets  (Read 6670 times)

CheeseshireCat

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Manning turrets
« on: September 29, 2009, 09:33:26 AM »
I just thought that maybe there should be an option of putting a passenger you carry to a turret. Especially since most of them are ejected pilots anyway so should be capable of manning it :)

Orange Drink

• View Profile
Re: Manning turrets
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 11:58:56 AM »
Sadly, Christian doesn't want people manning turrets, he rather wants to keep them robot controlled. I don't like it.
I eat syrofoam cups.

GLI

• Hidden Asset Alpha Tester
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 01:48:00 PM »
Quote from: "CheeseshireCat"
I just thought that maybe there should be an option of putting a passenger you carry to a turret. Especially since most of them are ejected pilots anyway so should be capable of manning it :)

When you're buying a ticket for (passenger's) voyage you're not expecting work on board. Right? There are some trips (on commercial vessels) while you work (because you don't have money for ticket) but they're simple jobs like cleaning.

Quote from: "Orange Drink"
Sadly, Christian doesn't want people manning turrets, he rather wants to keep them robot controlled. I don't like it.

And it's very good solution. Otherwise we should hire entire crew (specifically for Drayman): Capitan/pilot ("player"), second pilot/navigator, engineer officer and watch engineer, gunners (at least two for each turret; one per watch), cook with "assistant", cargo hold "manager" and some "security officers" (vide: official guidebook for "WC: Privateer" if "Scarab" was Drayman-class ship).

Besides will you let strange person to operate Your ship (even small part like turret)?
Genuine Lifelike Individual

Flyboy

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.daniel.peranoranch.com
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 07:35:58 PM »
It would be fun to have a crew on board....

Cthulhu

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 11:03:23 PM »
Quote from: "Flyboy"
It would be fun to have a crew on board....

Like in Elite 2 (wow you didn't see that one coming did you?) and Protostar, among others...

Quaker2k9

• Experienced
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 11:50:24 PM »
If we (or rather Christian) really were to go down this road, there would only be two possible endings for it:

1) the whole "crew" manning stuff thing is only a boring gimmick that doesn't affect gameplay and balance much at all.

or

2) the whole balance, controls, character of the game needs to be re-done.

Option 1 needs a lot of programming time for a few features that aren't really fun anyway and option 2 is out of the question - therefore I genuinely understand a developer's decision to not do this at all.
Retros tick me off!

CheeseshireCat

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 05:05:58 AM »
Quote from: "GLI"
Besides will you let strange person to operate Your ship (even small part like turret)?

Whn your life depends on it? Sure :)

Cthulhu

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 05:31:17 PM »

Doesn't chewbacca have this function?

Bradford

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 04:16:07 AM »
How would this be any different from AI controlled turrets?  Just a way to save a little money and not by the turrent controller?

Flyboy

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.daniel.peranoranch.com
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 09:03:49 AM »
Quote from: "Cthulhu"

Doesn't chewbacca have this function?

Hate to break this to ya, but it's the wrong galaxy. And I still haven't found the jump portal to reach that one. ;)

CheeseshireCat

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 08:06:34 AM »
OK, if not manning them, I at least want to see their power capacitor levels. Also, to be able to allow a turret to use the main power, too, if it runs out of its own.

Acsidol

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 07:45:55 PM »
NPC crew members would end up being more expensive.  But they would be useful for melee if you got boarded.

The best idea for crew that I can think of is like Star Trek.  Don't worry about the Redshirts, they are there and they are doing their jobs... saluting you as you pass.  Have crew members like

Engineer (repair driod)
Targeting (Missile boost)
Communications (more comm options/diplomacy)
Medic (AdvMedKit station/gimp AutoDoc)

As for the turrets, they can be "redshirt" controlled by AI but if the player wanted he could jump in...  maybe even give "fly left/right" orders from the turret.

Cthulhu

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 12:39:02 PM »
That makes me think of Protostar. Once you had a crew you could talk to them and through the dialogue the story of the game progressed. Maybe this could be interesting once the story gets implemented.

funk

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 11:40:18 PM »
is the turret even the right size to fit some one in?
and lets face it robots are faster at moveing and shooting than people.

Liberty Cruiser

• Experienced
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 01:01:02 AM »
But we already can have passengers man our turret and create our own crew.   :P    Look...

See? I use captured bounty hunters as rear turret gunners, kilrathis as command staff, retros as doors, confeds as doorstops/guards, and pirates as walls! Now If only these "passengers" could equip things, so I could use merchants as coat hangers for my weapons and armor.     :eeeee: