Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: 'A Lady in Trouble' by Quaker2k9  (Read 29918 times)

Cthulhu

• Ace
    • View Profile
Re: 'A Lady in Trouble' by Quaker2k9
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2009, 08:48:55 AM »
Now that I finally completed my quest, I thought I should play the ones in on this page, since I didn't want to get too "inspired" by them while writing my own. I just finished your quest, and I have to say, you gave me quite a scare! When I saw that duds name was Rick Deckard I panicked! Here I've been writing a quest for weeks (on and off) based on that movie, and you beat me to it, so imagine my relief when I realized that it was just the name that you borrowed from the movie.  (unlike me that ripped off entire scenes and lines.)

I really enjoyed the quest. It was fun, that riddle was unexpected, and the difficulty level was perfect (was killed the first two times in the rescue attempt). You made me realize something I hadn't thought of, namely that you don't have to have a text to go with the "achievements" in the Quine5000. This was fun, and I'm looking forward to your sequel.

(I played the original version)

Quaker2k9

• Experienced
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2009, 09:00:07 AM »
Quote from: "Cthulhu"
(...)
(I played the original version)

Thanks for the feedback!  :D

Yep, I only used the name as a reference. The character is actually Chris Walken's role in Privateer 2 with the name of Harrison Ford's role in Blade Runner.

The riddle is stolen from one very original mission in Privateer 2, by the way.
Retros tick me off!

WorkerDrone

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2009, 10:56:54 PM »
I just noticed. I downloaded this quest off of the quest page, because I've beaten all the others except for part two of this one, and it turns out that I can't play it because I need 0.6.

Is that going to be fixed, or am I downloading the wrong file?
The bugle sounds as the charge begins!
But on this battlefield no one wins.
The smell of acrid smoke and horses breath,
As you plunge into a certain death!

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2009, 11:19:48 PM »
That should have been fixed a few minutes after it was first uploaded. Try downloading again.

WorkerDrone

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2009, 01:17:14 AM »

There you are good sir. Hrm?

Quaker2k9

• Experienced
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2009, 09:15:58 AM »
Yeah, I'm getting the same error when I use the file from the quest database.

WorkerDrone, until this is fixed, you can also download the 'source' textfile and compile it yourself with the questmaker in your game's main menu.
Retros tick me off!

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2009, 10:53:25 AM »
Ah, sorry. I read this as 'A Lady in Trouble - Part 2'. This one should be fixed as well now.

WorkerDrone

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2009, 04:06:29 AM »
Thank you!

CheeseshireCat

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2009, 08:40:41 AM »
I had to give score of 3 mainly because of the way hostage location puzzle is made. Three problems with it:

1) Technically, the right answer is not exactly correct.
2) [spoiler]You don't really need to calculate it yourself as it's spelled out for you if you accept[/spoiler].
3) It is version-dependant, as if a new base starting on A would be added to the sector, it'd point to the wrong place.

Another notch down for the extra-hard combat at destination. Coming out of the ship even on the far side gets you shot at by at least two enemies, which you can't shoot at back without taking a move due to LoS issues, so even fully pumped (max shooting training at the range + one kill mission, 2 kills by 2 headshots each before) and best equipment, I still take at least three point-blank shots only from the first two of the thugs. After that, two more move in, and that's at least nine more shots, even if I kill one right away. And they don't miss at all.

The vest and helmet help only so far as I don't get *any* shots to the limbs.

Quaker2k9

• Experienced
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2009, 10:07:05 PM »
Thanks for your feedback, Cat.

You make some very good points about the "riddle"... If new systems / bases are added, I'll probably have to edit the quest, and the way it's handled now (with the Quine entry) is not very satsifying. But then the whole point of this 'ingredient' to my quest was to reference a very entertaining mission from Privateer 2 - The Darkening. I like this reference very much and despite all the imperfection of my integrating it, I don't want to abandon it.

About the ground combat... I'm sorry if it's too hard for you, but I'm quite pleased with it. The combat is intended to hurt the player somewhat - if you have very bad luck and get injured too heavily or even killed, you can always reload it and try again, this will only cost you a few minutes at most.
Retros tick me off!

Cthulhu

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2009, 10:54:54 PM »
I think the difficulty level was perfect.
(just think of how many "classic" games you had to reload a previous save like 20 times just to get past that last obstacle)

CheeseshireCat

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2009, 04:51:28 AM »
I think the difficulty level was perfect.
(just think of how many "classic" games you had to reload a previous save like 20 times just to get past that last obstacle)

Not that many, actually. The only two were McGee's Alice where I had a problem nabbing Mad Hatter, and some space-based Diablo-like I don't recall the name of.

And "classic" games usually gradually prepare you for the "boss" fight or provide something you can use specifically in it if you are crafty (the sole exception I recall is Zeliard where you were always given just what you needed in the boss fight only right *after* it).

Here, I had to reload over fifty times.

Quaker2k9: Guess the reference got lost on me because I only played the first Privateer. Somehow, I missed the Darkening while it was playable...

Cthulhu

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2009, 05:24:45 PM »
Fifty times?
Wow, for me, third time was the charm.
What you need is full body armor, and a good gun/or rifle skill, I think I had a laser gun in one hand and pulse gun in the other. Then you're guaranteed one kill each turn.

Quote from: "CheeseshireCat"
And "classic" games usually gradually prepare you for the "boss" fight

That's true. Wolfenstein became a lot nicer when you realized there usually was a hidden room filled with ammo and health, just before the boss.

CheeseshireCat

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2009, 11:38:14 AM »
Fifty times?
Wow, for me, third time was the charm.
What you need is full body armor, and a good gun/or rifle skill, I think I had a laser gun in one hand and pulse gun in the other. Then you're guaranteed one kill each turn.

I had the best equpment and skill pumped to the limit you can by target practice. The problem was that even though I was getting a guaranteed kill each turn, being swarmed right after I land also guaranteed that I take at leat three shots each turn, too -- and I couldn't even get a shot at some of the people shooting at me due to LoS issues. Moving only caused me to get shot at even more.

So finally I managed to pull it only after I discovered the fact no one follows you into your ship, and you can exit combat and save there -- plus, if I initiate combat mode within ship, I exit with zero timer -- no goons having their guns trained on the hatch (i.e., no interrupts/opportunity fire as in X-Com/Jagged Alliance).

Windmill_Man

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2010, 06:01:28 AM »

I liked the quest. It was fun.

The difficulty was pretty decent. My Orion breezed through the first set of space enemies (I even got to disable the Centurion). The one battle with the three Centurions wasn't that bad either. They almost touched my armor a couple time before I blew them all up. The on-foot battle wasn't so bad either... I restarted once... but that was because I wanted to attempt to save myself from a few rounds by exiting the right side of the ship (don't think I did though :P). I'm not fully pumped. I threw smoke grenade and tried to shoot them with a pulse pistol as much as possible before they got close. Then I vibrobladed them all to death. A couple of them were hiding in the shipyard though...

I'm anxious to play the sequel... but I have to play 'Shootout at OK Corral' first.