Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: 'The Runners' by Cthulhu  (Read 29845 times)

Cthulhu

• Ace
    • View Profile
Re: Who would confuse 'Blade Runner' with 'The Running Man'?
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2009, 12:43:05 PM »
I'm glad you liked my quest. I think we should start of with the following words:

BEWARE THE REST OF THIS DISCUSSION IS A COMPLETE SPOILER FOR THE QUEST "The Runners".

Now, that being said, let us discuss the higher things in life, namely, movie quotes and science fiction. For the Commander Jameson character, you need only look to the left at my Avatar (Elite, amazing game! see Other 'Classic' Space Exploration Games.)

Now as for the "Insys" you have me confused. I'm afraid I don't really follow, unless I misspelled something in my quest?

The first verse of the Poem is by William Blake, and used in the game Blade Runner, but also in the book "The Stars my Destination" (aka. "Tiger! Tiger!") by Alfred Bester, written in 1956 about the Nomad Gully Foyle who spends some time in the asteroid belts. The second verse is only from that book, and written by the author. I thought it fitting since in that book the author uses ASCII-art! Well, almost, towards the end he has the lines attacking you from the page in a very psychedelic way, and the lines spiral and wiggle all over the pages, and form stars and whatnot. It is a fantastic book, definitely recommended, unfortunately Alfred Bester only wrote two successful/good science fiction books, the other being "The Demolished man".

But "The Nomad" could be from Star Trek as well, good catch there Quaker2k9.

Now Enoch Wallace is a very tricky one. It's from the 1964 Hugo award winning book "Way Station" by Clifford D. Simak. The book is highly recommended. It's a very nice Space Opera novel, and part of the story is about Enoch who has been alone for a century and finally becomes friend with his neighbor. (not J.F. Sebastian though...). (Don't worry, I haven't spoiled the story of the book in any way)

Well, Rutger Hauer is also from Blade Runner, but from real life, since he actually played Roy Batty. But in the quest I have him as a henchman, perhaps a pirate fighting the good cause? Well, I needed two guys for the Player and Roy to shoot at, so I put Pris and Rutger on the job.

As for Sergeant Smith, who will jump you if you don't accept to kill Zhora, he is who ever you want it to be.

hmmm, perhaps this thread should be moved to the actual discussion of the quest?http://

Cthulhu

• Ace
    • View Profile
Re: 'The Runners' by Cthulhu
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2009, 12:52:29 PM »
OK, I don't think anyone else on this forum except me and Flyboy knows what the line being discussed is, and the way is sounds from the description so far, with it being referred to av vulgar and obscene, I feel it should be brought to public viewing, lest I'm to be thought of as a foul deviant pervert.
So again, I hope this won't upset you as it now actually is a discussion, and therefore not a unintentional (mis)use of his name.

Code: [Select]
Character : Unless you're alive, you can't play, and if you don't play... Six, seven. Go to hell, go to heaven.
Player : What in God's holy name are you blathering about?

The first line is from the movie Blade Runner, and the second is from The Big Lebowski.

Now I respect your opinion Flyboy, you're certainly entitled to it, and I can understand that you find it offensive, but since the misuse of "God" is very common in the English language and isn't even censored in talk shows aired on Fox, I doubt anyone else will even notice it, so at this point I don't think I will remove it, since it fits very well in the dialogue, and is a perfect reference to Big Lebowski, where "The Dude" has a very similar non-coherent monologue as Roy Batty has here.

If I'm to write another quest in the future I will make sure not use that line (or similar ones) again. I didn't realize it could ruin the "quest-experience" for anyone as it has for you Flyboy. So thank's for the criticism, it's always welcome as long as it can be motivated, which it has been here.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2009, 01:31:26 PM »
Just for general information, I do not consider that offensive nor vulgar, so I wouldn't refrain from posting a quest with language like that. I respect other people's views, but there are limits to how much I'll censor myself and others to accommodate the few. (Note for example that certain words are automatically censored on the boards.)

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Re: Who would confuse 'Blade Runner' with 'The Running Man'?
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2009, 02:18:24 PM »
Quote from: "Cthulhu"
hmmm, perhaps this thread should be moved to the actual discussion of the quest?

Threads merged.

Quaker2k9

• Experienced
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2009, 09:19:30 PM »
Quote from: "Cthulhu"
Code: [Select]
Character : Unless you're alive, you can't play, and if you don't play... Six, seven. Go to hell, go to heaven.
Player : What in God's holy name are you blathering about?

Oh, it's that line?! Hmmm, okay...
Retros tick me off!

Flyboy

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.daniel.peranoranch.com
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2009, 09:21:29 PM »
Thanks for being understanding, Cthulhu. I apologize if I was too hard on you. My intent was certainly not to damage your reputation or personally attack you, but to comment on the quote in the quest.

Again, thank you for being understanding.

VincentFirePony

• Ace
    • View Profile
    • http://pgmaille.weebly.com
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2009, 12:39:40 AM »
I enjoyed the quest. It gives variety from the backwater planets to the big city. Good use of the in-game laws so it doesn't hurt your record. One or two of the references I didn't catch but its ok. Overall, 4/5 and hope you write some more quests.
There are only a few good things in life: AS, AS, beer, Minecraft and Hostile Takeover! A<0>V

Cthulhu

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2009, 05:34:55 PM »
Now I have to rewrite my quest to include the olsen twins...

VincentFirePony

• Ace
    • View Profile
    • http://pgmaille.weebly.com
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2009, 12:06:45 AM »
LOL. That's too funny.
There are only a few good things in life: AS, AS, beer, Minecraft and Hostile Takeover! A<0>V

EliteRifle

• Experienced
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2010, 06:03:07 PM »
Nice Quest, I did rate a 3, but I still liked it.
Internet Explorer, the #1 browser for downloading a better browser.

Cthulhu

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2010, 04:07:19 PM »
Glad you played it, and liked it.
I'll probably need to update it at some point since a lot of new functions been added to the Quest language and the game itself since I wrote it.
I'm mainly thinking about the Nomad ship can't be boarded. (Well, if you do it will just have some random dude on board I guess).

Cthulhu

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2013, 11:27:26 AM »
@Hussy001 Now I'm not sure what you're meaning? We're discussing a quest:
http://www.asciisector.net/forum/quests/ctha1.qst

and it's references to Blade Runner, as that was my main inspiration when I wrote it, some years ago.  I'd recommend you to play the quest before reading the comments in this thread, but I suspect that is already too late.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2013, 01:40:31 PM »
That was a spam post. I've deleted it. :)

Aleccia Rosewater

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2017, 10:57:32 PM »
How am I supposed to do the first objective within the given time limit? In my Tarsus I ran out of time on the trip back - on both tries. I imagine that if I had a faster ship... but even then I suspect that I would just barely make it in time

GLI

• Hidden Asset Alpha Tester
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2017, 08:55:00 PM »
How am I supposed to do the first objective within the given time limit? In my Tarsus I ran out of time on the trip back - on both tries. I imagine that if I had a faster ship... but even then I suspect that I would just barely make it in time

Don't use autopilot function. Hit afterburners and fly "manually" - it will let you to save a lot of time... ;)
Genuine Lifelike Individual