Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: Quest Rewards?  (Read 19165 times)

Cort

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://henrik.heimbuerger.de/
Re: Quest Rewards?
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2009, 08:08:24 PM »
Quote from: "Christian Knudsen"
Quote from: "Cort"
The reward setting option would not be available to normal quest developers. Only Christian can set it and it would be based on the difficulty or extensiveness of the quest.

That's really interesting! How about this: I'll add a AddCredits function to the scripting syntax, but when you compile it, the compiler will strip this function. However, when you submit your quest script for adding to the 'quests' page, I'll compile it with my own compiler that doesn't remove AddCredit calls. That way I'll be able to check that it isn't a script designed to "cheat" your way to 10 million credits. You'll still be able to compile and test your script like you can now, you just wont get the credit rewards until you submit the script - which will also hopefully motivate players to actually submit their scripts.

In case that was just missed and not already rejected, I'd like to suggest again that quests not only reward by medals and credits, but that there are also commands to reward the player with trading goods. Might be a more interesting reward for trading quests. (Same limitations as for AddCredits apply.)

Also, I'd suggest to not make the AddCredits function do nothing when in 'debug' mode (i.e. running it 'unblessed'), but rather show a message box with what *would* have happened, to make testing it easier.

I'd really like to see the official storyline quest unlocking the galaxy over time. I personally think that's a very big motivation to keep playing while pretty simple to implement.

-- Cort

Flyboy

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.daniel.peranoranch.com
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2009, 05:35:01 AM »
Sounds cool to me  :D

CheeseshireCat

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2009, 06:32:36 AM »
Note: don't read if you don't wan't to even *know* how to make a "get rich quick and easy" quest :)

I mean, Christian, if folks *WANT* to get around your cheating prevention -- whether because they want to get money quick, or because it's seen as a challenge, they would.

[spoiler]A simple question. What stops someone from making a character with a few crit wounds, low health and Kilrathi rifle in each slot from approaching the player upon some trigger like landing or entering the bar?

Or, if crit wounds won't make him lose health (I didn't check), from keeping the 1-health dummy still, and making another char appear and nab it. Then the player just walks over ang grabs 10K worth of equipment (sale value). No effort from player character spent whatsoever (other than picking up and selling stuff).

Rinse, lather, repeat.[/spoiler]

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2009, 10:34:05 AM »
This has been suggested before and my answer is the same: It still takes more effort to kill the NPC (even if he's close to dead already), pick up his stuff, walk to the equipment shop and sell it. And you'll have to do this quite a few times to get a lot of credits. Compare this to writing a quest where you get 10,000,000 million credits for completing a simple mission (or simply landing on a base) to trigger the hypothetical "GiveCredits" function.

CheeseshireCat

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2009, 04:03:23 PM »
No, as I said, you don't even have to kill them. I'm just a little bit lazy, or I'd make one where you'll get your road paved with $15K corpses on any planet. It isn't $10M, but checking the scene limits says I'll be able to get a LOT in one go.

Telok

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2009, 06:18:17 PM »
Found a possible issue.

Code: [Select]
Title : Reward
Author : Telok
// Achievement : none

SCENE Reward

CLEARNAV
TC-101 : 1
/CLEARNAV

SHIP
armor : 1
attitude : 0
faction : retro
missileamount : 0
morale : fanatical
name : Reward
nav : 1
system : TC-101
order : docknoengage
ordertarget : player
gun : none
turretrear : none
turretleft : none
turretright : none
type : drayman
// types = broadsword  centurion  dralthi  drayman  galaxy  gladius  gothri  stiletto  tarsus  ulysses
/SHIP

TRIGGER
event : landed
result : questdone
/TRIGGER

/SCENE

Mind you this isn't perfectly safe or anything, but it works for fast cash.

Admyral

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2013, 08:19:04 AM »
Hey, it has been a while since I have looked at my old quest code and have decided to start working on it again.  Did the "GiveCredits" function (that only could be activated with CK's approval) ever get implemented?

I keep getting "Unexpected identifier" with GiveCredits or AddCredits.  

Please let me know.  Thanks.
Code: [Select]
      \\|/
      --*--  _
       /|\\.-\' \'-.
   (W)(E)(L)(C)(O)(M)(E)
 _.-\'   to Fabulous   \'-._
(_   L A S   V E G A S   _)
  \'-._               _.-\'
      \'-._NEVADA _.-\'
          \'-._.-\'