Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: Quest Rewards?  (Read 19166 times)

Lyndon

• View Profile
Quest Rewards?
« on: November 04, 2008, 11:03:16 PM »
Is it possible to give the player rewards for completion of quests? It seems as if you dont gain anything from completing the example quest.
Also I think the quest compiler link in the sticky is wrong.
EDIT: Also a quick question, hwo do you find out the x y corodniates on a map?
Hi there.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Re: Quest Rewards?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 12:15:21 AM »
I'd like to allow quests to give you a reward, but I'm afraid it might be misused. What's to keep you from making a quest that will reward you 1.000.000 credits? Or if I make an upper limit to rewards, you can just make a quest that will give you the reward every time you land on a planet or talk to a character, and you can then just repeat it as many times as you want. So, if there's some way to prevent this, I'll definitely add rewards, but I haven't found a solution yet.

As to finding the coordinates... For now, you'll have to manually count out the coordinates (the upper left corner is 0,0). In the next release you can press 'C' while using the 'L'ook function to see the coordinate of the cursor's current position.

(I've fixed the links in the sticky. Thanks!)

Lyndon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 08:25:34 AM »
Ah I was thnking there would eb some problems with 'cheating' by getting money when you jumped or landed, I can't really see a way around it unless you make it a one off thing you gain at the end of a quest. This game is brilliant by th way, has the Privateer feel to it, although I dislike your idea  you mentioned somewhere on making an army story plot unless it is purely optional. I always thought Privateer was just meant to show you as a simple cog in the great machine.
Hi there.

primezer0

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 12:29:56 PM »
You could calculate rewards like you do with normal missions and have quest commands that reward you based on the goods you carried for a cargo mission or the ship strength for a bounty mission etc.
something like
Shipdestroyed: RewardBounty

If it was up to me I wouldn't even be worrying about cheating, it's thier loss if they do.

Another way might be to have reward commands only compile properly on your computer so people could still test their quests but you get to review the rewards b4 fully compiling.

Lyndon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 04:36:34 PM »
Yes cheating would be pretty pointless, I would probably write a quest for cheating to test out things and play around but the game is funner when you have to work to get stuff.

I have another question now; in Character dialogues can you have things like STEP 2 and STEP 3 like ship dialogue? If not then it should be implemented seeing as you can tell stories better that way.
Hi there.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 05:22:00 PM »
As to people cheating, I agree it's pointless and the game is more fun if you don't, but I always get the feeling from these sort of games, where you have to earn money, that if cheating is too easy (by for example making a quest that gives you a ton of credits), even though you don't cheat, the mere knowledge that you could gain a ton of credits easily instead of doing missions or trading cargo takes some of the fun away from it. Anyway, that's just how I'd personally feel about something like that - it's probably not shared by most gamers... :)

Quote from: "Lyndon"
[...] although I dislike your idea you mentioned somewhere on making an army story plot unless it is purely optional. I always thought Privateer was just meant to show you as a simple cog in the great machine.

It will pretty much be optional. The idea is that there will be these four factions battling for control of the sector and their battle will flow back and forth - sometimes a system will be under Kilrathi control, a day later the Confeds might have retaken it. This ebb and flow of battle will impact your trading and missions in that you might not choose to select a cargo mission to a planet, if that system is currently under Kilrathi control (with a bunch of Kilrathi ships in that system). If you want to, when you get a capital sized ship, you will be able to build up your own personal guerilla army and try to take control of the sector yourself and "save" it from the war and from the corruption plaguing the government in the Ascii Sector. You can also choose to ignore it and go about your daily missions/trading as usual.

Quote from: "primezer0"
You could calculate rewards like you do with normal missions and have quest commands that reward you based on the goods you carried for a cargo mission or the ship strength for a bounty mission etc.
something like
Shipdestroyed: RewardBounty

It would be very easy to implement. I could just have a result called "Result : Credits : +1000" (or -500 or something if you do something that should decrease you credits). You could then just call this result with any event trigger that you want (if a ship is destroyed, a mission completed, a character killed, whatever). The only reason I haven't implemented it yet is due to the cheating issue.

Quote from: "primezer0"
Another way might be to have reward commands only compile properly on your computer so people could still test their quests but you get to review the rewards b4 fully compiling.

I'm not entirely sure I understand what you mean here... :?

Quote from: "Lyndon"
I have another question now; in Character dialogues can you have things like STEP 2 and STEP 3 like ship dialogue? If not then it should be implemented seeing as you can tell stories better that way.

No, you can't do that in character dialogue, as the player's only means of response is Accept or Reject. This is a remnant from the original Privateer, so I might change this in the future to allow for more options in character dialogue. However, you can use variables to control what a character should say and with Accept/Reject you can still have branching dialogues.

primezer0

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 05:27:53 AM »
It would be very easy to implement. I could just have a result called "Result : Credits : +1000" (or -500 or something if you do something that should decrease you credits).

What I really meant was something like how the normal mission credits are calculated. So the quest writer just sets what type of mission it is, (bounty,cargo, etc), plugs in the nav points and what needs to be done, and when that mission ends it gives you the credits a normal mission would give you. I don't know how hard that might be to code though.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 01:04:57 PM »
Well, the way I've done the scripting language is to have seperate "building blocks" such as trigger events and results. This allows more freedom and combinations as you can pretty much combine events and results as you see fit - and can create the kind of missions you want. For that reason, I don't want to add an "automatic" cargo mission function, for example, as that would go against my design philosophy and would probably just add confusion.

Cort

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://henrik.heimbuerger.de/
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 03:32:24 PM »
Quote from: "Christian Knudsen"
I always get the feeling from these sort of games, where you have to earn money, that if cheating is too easy (by for example making a quest that gives you a ton of credits), even though you don't cheat, the mere knowledge that you could gain a ton of credits easily instead of doing missions or trading cargo takes some of the fun away from it.

QFT.

The even bigger problem I see is that quests will compete not only by how well they are written but also by how much money they reward the player with at the end. Too high rewards will change the flow of your game, because you can afford stuff you otherwise wouldn't at that stage of the game. Or, people might not play certain quests for exactly that reason, because they feel like it's giving them an unfair advantage.

On the other hand, I think there needs to be some kind of persistent reward from quests, at least there could be a 'medals screen' somewhere in your Quine. They wouldn't be worth anything but the feeling that you were successful. Purely motivational.

Rewards that actually have an effect (be it money, or some kind of item, or unlocking a new functionality) would imho be preferable, but I have no idea how to do it properly either.

-- Cort

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 12:50:35 PM »
I'd like to do medals (or other item rewards that you can view on a 'rewards collection' screen), but that requires that you'll be able to draw the medal or reward and I'm not planning on adding ASCII drawings for quests (and ASCII animations) for a few versions. So, it'll not be added right away.

What I can do relatively easily is have a 'history' or 'accomplishments' screen that would list what you've done in the quests you've completed. Something like:

Code: [Select]

You have:
- Helped in bringing the corrupted Admiral Tsikov to justice.
- Rescued your kidnapped aunt.
- Stopped a Kilrathi invasion.
(and so on...)

The only thing quest makers would have to do is add a single line in their quests with this accomplishment, which will then be added to your list of accomplishments when you complete the quest. It's not really a game-altering reward like extra money or a new weapon, but maybe it will give some sort of feeling of accomplishment to have a long history list.

Anyway, when ASCII drawings/animations have been added to the quests, I also feel that the story itself and these cutscenes will drive the player to complete the quest. (Along with a medal or other visual reward and a new entry on the list of accomplishments.)

Cort

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://henrik.heimbuerger.de/
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 10:51:31 AM »
I think that would be a huge step in the right direction with fairly limited effort.

-- Cort

Spades

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 03:05:52 PM »
Could you make those history notes be usable as a trigger for another quest?
Like for example: you brought the corrupted admiral to justice but he escapes and now plots his revenge, or his cousin is hunting you or whatever :)

Shere Khan

• View Profile
    • http://sherekhan.org
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2008, 04:02:01 AM »
seems like a very good idea: it could lead to several user-created campaign trees with as many branches as you want, sorta like EV Nova. and they won't even need to be written by one person.... like episodic TV, in that what's happened in previous episodes is set in stone, and the next episode should be based on that, but it can be written by another author and take a completely different turn.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2008, 12:53:09 PM »
That's already planned. :) For v0.4.6 I'll add a function to have a block after the Author and Title which will cause the quest to only be playable if one or more other quests have been completed:

REQUIREDCOMPLETED
      Title : Author
      AnotherTitle : Author
      And so on...
   /REQUIREDCOMPLETED

Default Settings

• Experienced
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2008, 08:01:51 PM »
Good to hear about the planned additons, quests really are a bit limited right now.

Would including medals really be that dificult? When a "quest history" is possible it should be possible to "draw" ASCII rewards as well, I think. (Limited to a 9x9 grid or something)

TROPHY
  NAME : The Star of Jovius
  LINE 1 : .........
  LINE 2 : .../=\...
  LINE 3 : ...===...
  LINE 4 : ...=A=...
  LINE 5 : .../o\...
  LINE 6 : ..<oOo>..
  LINE 7 : ...\v/...
  LINE 8 : .........
  LINE 9 : .........
/TROPHY

It doesn't even have to be a medal, either. ;)

TROPHY
  NAME : Two kegs of Uncle Kor's Best
  LINE 1 : ..___....
  LINE 2 : .(   )...
  LINE 3 : .(XXX)...
  LINE 4 : .(___)...
  LINE 5 : ....___..
  LINE 6 : ...(   ).
  LINE 7 : ...(XXX).
  LINE 8 : ...(___).
  LINE 9 : .........