Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: Skill gains  (Read 1252 times)

Cort

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://henrik.heimbuerger.de/
Skill gains
« on: September 29, 2008, 01:51:50 PM »
(Split from this thread.)

Quote from: "Christian Knudsen"
Quote from: "Cort"
3. Out of pure egoism, could you please check whether the skill raising code for the armed/unarmed fighting works? :D[...]

It does work, but the problem right now is that your skill will increase with a value equal to the damage dealt. So if you don't hit, you don't gain in skill. I'll change this for the next version and also try to implement gaining skill faster in the beginning. I agree that the slow skill gains are rather demotivating.

My experience with roleplaying games is pretty much restricted to some months of Ultima Online, but I think UO's system is simple yet effective (and motivatiing):
Each time you perform a certain action the corresponding skill improves. If you perform the action successful, you get a bonus on the skill gain. (I don't know the exact numbers, but I'd say when you fail you probably get about 10%-20% of the successful gain.)
The early skill gains are very fast, then it's getting slower and slower. The last step to actually mastering the skill takes the longest.

The main problem here is to make sure it's not actually getting faster over time, because -- while the actual skill gains are getting lower -- you are successful more often and therefore get the bonus most of the time.
I think UO solves this by limiting the skill range in which you can improve by doing a certain subtask. When you get to that point, you have to perform a more difficult subtask which makes you fail more often again. (And similarly, you can't train a skill by failing the whole time on a very difficult task.) However, that might not be applicable to Ascii Sector.

Or is it? Kicking somebody on the knee is easy but could only take you to 50% experience. Kicking somebody on the head is harder, you fail more often, but you can raise the unarmed fighting up to 100% with it. There's no point in trying that earlier, because you will just fail 99% of the time and therefore get no reasonable skill gains.

Maybe all that is way too complex, I really haven't figured out how the ground fighting works in Ascii Sector yet. Does it even matter where I hit someone (in terms of whether it's successful), or does it just affect which body parts is injured?

-- Cort