Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: A few suggestions  (Read 5282 times)

tuxdelux

• View Profile
Re: A few suggestions
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2008, 11:14:11 PM »
Quote from: "Happylisk"
]Tour of Duty:  It would be cool if you had the option at any Confederate naval base to sign up for a tour of duty.  A tour of duty would last 10-15 missions and would have a specific theme (dealing with pirates, fighting the Kilrathi).  The tour could start relatively easy with scouting missions, and as you rise in rank culminate with an attack on a Kilrathi capital ship for example.  It would also be the only opportunity to fly Confed ships like the Stiletto or the Broadsword.  During the tour, you are not allowed to land on bases not associated with your mission- doing that would make the Confeds label you AWOL.

This game could really use some type of "character class" - but not in the traditional sense.  Rather, if you choose to sign up with the Confeds, then you character is "branded" for life.  You might get easier access to basic ship equipment and weapons, but you've got to serve out a ten-year contract.  You might be able to do some side missions, but you've chosen a life of a soldier.

Same idea for other classes, too.  Pirates (might start with the "seedy guy" at the bar asking to do something undeniably criminal), assassins, sector guard (leading to station governor?), etc.  The merchants factions are pretty good guilds, but getting your character to play a special part in the game would really give AsciiSector more replayability.  And there should be big penalties for leaving your chosen character class, so people do not just do it for the equipment and leave.  And there should be good benefits for doing your class job really well, too.  And, if not too much to ask, the effects of the class job should be significant in the universe (station base being wiped out, expanded territory, alien race revealed, super deluxe space ship introduced...)

Any player is free not to take any character class, of course, and just play the traditional game, but there will always be that option for other characters that the player may create later.

Just tossing around an idea.  The game is still great just the way it is, all open and everything.  Thanks!

Cort

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://henrik.heimbuerger.de/
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2008, 05:48:38 PM »
Quote from: "tuxdelux"
This game could really use some type of "character class" - but not in the traditional sense.  Rather, if you choose to sign up with the Confeds, then you character is "branded" for life.  You might get easier access to basic ship equipment and weapons, but you've got to serve out a ten-year contract.  You might be able to do some side missions, but you've chosen a life of a soldier.

[...] but getting your character to play a special part in the game would really give AsciiSector more replayability.

Mmmh, can you elaborate on what the advantage of that would be? I don't quite see why you would want to restrict the player like that and how it could improve replayability?

Privateer and Ascii Sector have always been about freeform gameplay with no final decisions. You can be a pirate for a while, but there's nothing keeping you from changing your ways and becoming lawful again. (The criminal record Ascii Sector introduced already leads to some problems, but I think they are solvable once the record has any effect.)

I like ideas like the Tour of Duty or other long running career paths, but I don't see why you should have to choose that at game start -- and therefore force you to start over if you change your mind. In fact, I simply don't think the concept of replayability applies to Ascii Sector. What's the advantage of making the player start over, when he can just keep going?

There's no 'end', so there's no reason to make the player 'come back' eventually as other games have. The aim should instead be to keep the player motivated and offer him more content over time. Something Ascii Sector already does (unlocking missions via reputation) and might one day do via the 'galaxy control' aspect on a global scale games never have before. (Yeah, I admit it, I haven't played Spore yet. ;))

-- Cort

tuxdelux

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2008, 07:21:05 PM »
Quote from: "Cort"
Privateer and Ascii Sector have always been about freeform gameplay with no final decisions. You can be a pirate for a while, but there's nothing keeping you from changing your ways and becoming lawful again. (The criminal record Ascii Sector introduced already leads to some problems, but I think they are solvable once the record has any effect.)

The aim should instead be to keep the player motivated and offer him more content over time. Something Ascii Sector already does (unlocking missions via reputation) and might one day do via the 'galaxy control' aspect on a global scale games never have before

I guess this is a matter of preference.  Do you rather have a static universe where everything stays the same and awaits your character to unlock the events?  Or would you rather have a dynamic universe where events unfold, and where your character decides how they will take part?  In a dynamic universe, you cannot both save the weak alien race and enslave them.  In a static universe, it doesn't much matter because both quests wait to be unlocked.  For me, the best space exploration game is Star Control 2, where a great war takes place and there is even an end to the game when one of the two great armies claims victory.  There is an in-game time-line, and your character can change the spheres of influences and even delay the end of the war, but the events are far too big to wait for your participation.  This game is now available as Free Software (GPL) as Ur'Quan Masters, so I encourage you to check it out.

Back to speaking again about character classes, in a game with a dynamic yet predetermined story, like SC2, character classes would allow players to try out different avenues and effect the story arc in different ways.  I agree that in a game where it is entirely open and static, with no effects of any actions, then such limitations are just a hassle.

Cort

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://henrik.heimbuerger.de/
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2008, 08:15:02 PM »
I actually do own an original copy of SC2, which came with my SC3. I did play SC3, but never really played SC2. (And yes, I know that SC3 is considered the bastard sibling in the trilogy :), I just think the characters and the voice acting were absolutely brilliant.)

I see how your suggestions could be interesting if there was such a well written and complex storyline arc affecting the whole game in different ways, depending on how you deal with it. But that's really far away and we'll have to wait for Christian to tell us whether that's the direction he wants to go.

-- Cort

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2008, 05:42:32 PM »
Just a quick reply to some of the ideas and suggestions here. I'm not going to create a more strict 'class-like' system that it is now. What I might do when I get around to doing the whole "game arc/RTS fighting for control of the sector" thing is to allow the player to choose to side with a faction (retro, Kilrathi, pirates, confed/milita) instead of trying to take control all by himself. But that's just a loose idea at this point...