Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: Future Development  (Read 11956 times)

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Future Development
« on: June 04, 2008, 10:04:45 AM »
This is my somewhat loose plan for the future versions of the game. I'll expand and alter this based on suggestions/requests, as well as my own ideas and what I feel like programming.

Overhaul of characters and ships to allow for persistent characters and ships (for example bounty hunters that pursue you across multiple systems and planets if your fines are high enough). Factions will also have fleets that battle each other for control of systems and bases, making the control of systems and bases change hands with the flow of the war.

First half of the main plot: getting involved in shady business that threatens the entire sector, while earning enough credits to finally buy your own base.

Second half of the main plot: expanding your base, building your own fleet and taking control of the entire sector.

Plot done, game universe done, balancing done, all known bugs fixed.

Narushima

• Experienced
    • View Profile
Re: Future Development
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 02:34:23 AM »
What does that gap between 0.8 and 1.0 means ?

Default Settings

• Experienced
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 07:08:14 AM »
Can you elaborate a bit on what you understand under "War Mode"?

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 11:22:05 AM »
Quote from: "Narushima"
What does that gap between 0.8 and 1.0 means ?

It just means that there might be more versions in between that I haven't decided upon yet.

Quote from: "Default Settings"
Can you elaborate a bit on what you understand under "War Mode"?

War mode will basically be an RTS taking place in the Ascii Sector. It's an idea I got recently thinking about how NPC ships can be given orders by the player (like how you give your wingman orders). I don't think it will be too hard to use this to create an ASCII RTS, where you control the Confed forces in the war against the Kilrathi forces (or vice versa) over control of the different systems in the sector. You'll move your fleets and engage in large battles, where you will give orders to your forces just like in a normal RTS. Anyway, I've dubbed this the War mode, and the current mode will just be Privateer mode. The two modes will be completely separate.

Dreamer

• View Profile
A Flying Sim, RPG, and RTS All in One!
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 10:16:34 PM »
Does that mean that there's the possibility of having large, multi-man ships?  Even if we could only see them in Privateer Mode, that would be awesome.

Also, have you thought of how resource management might work, or is it just an idea you haven't quite elaborated on?

Please excuse my curiosity and excitement...
Meteors: Objects that are difficult to avoid going over 750 KPS.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Re: A Flying Sim, RPG, and RTS All in One!
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 09:31:06 AM »
Quote from: "Dreamer"
Does that mean that there's the possibility of having large, multi-man ships?  Even if we could only see them in Privateer Mode, that would be awesome.

Well, when you will be able to disable and board a Drayman, for example, it will have more than one crew member for you to kill, if that's what you mean? I haven't yet decided on whether or not I'll add multi-man ships for the player to pilot, but I'm still leaning towards "no".

Quote from: "Dreamer"
Also, have you thought of how resource management might work, or is it just an idea you haven't quite elaborated on?

I haven't elaborated that much on it yet. For the first implementation of War Mode, it will probably just be a single system and two fleets facing off, with the player controlling either the Confed or Kilrathi fleet. I'll then develop that further in the following versions -- expanding the conflict to the entire sector, adding resource management, and stuff like that. Each planet/base type will probably have unique resources to offer, adding a layer of strategy when deciding which systems and planets to attempt to capture.

Cort

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://henrik.heimbuerger.de/
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 02:30:17 PM »
I'd just like to add that by delaying a v1.0, I think you're turning a lot of potential players away.

Now this might be a good or a bad thing, depending on whether players are more of a motivation or a necessary evil to you. ;) The more actual players you have, the more you will probably be sidetracked from your own ideas because various suggestions are coming in.

The version number 0.3.x just looks very beta-ish, while (particularly after the minor bugs and annoyances listed in your 0.3 path to-do list are fixed) the current Ascii Sector is a fine game as it is. As I already said in my initial topic here, I think you've already surpassed Privateer in gameplay by far. The current versions are stable enough to be called 1.x.

I'm sure you have your reasons. Just felt like having to contribute my observances.

-- Cort

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 08:49:57 PM »
I understand your point, but I'm not sure that a version number below 1.0 turns away potential players -- at least not with a very niche game like most ASCII games are. Anyway, my primary reason for not calling this 1.0 yet is the unfinished gaming universe. For now, whenever I add a new system, the commodity market is reset, as are all missions. I guess this is only a minor annoyance, but adding new systems may have a bigger (and more annoying) impact in future versions, so that still makes it very much an unfinished, work-in-progress game, in my opinion.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 02:44:53 PM »
Partly based on what Cort said, and partly based on my tinkering with the future plans, I've altered the Future Development plan a bit. This means that I won't begin working on War Mode until after 1.0, and I might call the first implementation of War Mode for 2.0, as in many ways it's an entirely new game on top of the existing game.

Nie

• View Profile
    • http://nieenden.googlepages.com/asciisectut
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 04:51:19 PM »
Quote from: "Christian Knudsen"
Partly based on what Cort said, and partly based on my tinkering with the future plans, I've altered the Future Development plan a bit. This means that I won't begin working on War Mode until after 1.0, and I might call the first implementation of War Mode for 2.0, as in many ways it's an entirely new game on top of the existing game.

I completely agree with you. War mode seems like more of a module or an addon. It would be a nice extra once people got use to the gameplay of the first complete release.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 11:16:02 AM »
I've changed my plan slightly. Instead of working on walking around on your ship for v0.4, I've changed it to the first implementation of quest scripting. I just felt more like working on quests than on ship strolling next -- and I'm already almost done with the program that will parse quest .txt files for errors and then "compile" (actually just encode) them into usable .qst files.

Now I just need to finish up the rest of the 0.3.x stuff before I commit myself completely to quests.

Dwarmin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008, 04:18:37 PM »
Have you decided to give missions diffrent win/lose paths yet?

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2008, 05:21:43 PM »
I'm not sure I understand what you're referring to here. Using the quest scripting you can give the missions you create whatever win/lose paths you want.

Narushima

• Experienced
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2008, 07:27:25 PM »
Great ! That quest scripting release is what I'm really looking forward to, even if I will have to assemble and maintain all my focus to create a quest, which is kind of hard for me !
By the way, what is also always very precious with that kind of thing is a user-based ranking system, and of course a small description from the authors, all set somewhere in your website, so it's not just a list of quest that you have no idea about.
And if the community grows, as I hope and think it will, partly thanks to that kind of possibilities, it will become indispensable.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2008, 08:17:50 PM »
Yeah, definitely. I've been thinking about how to do that. What I think I'll do is have a webpage with a list of all the quests (sorted by the date they were added), a short description, and a link to a thread here on the forum. The thread will have a poll, where members can vote on the quality of the quest and post a more detailed review if they want to (or ask questions or just discuss the quest). There will be two forums for quests: One for quests in development, where the authors can discuss and ask questions, and another for completed quests, where each quest will have a thread with the quality vote and stuff. This ensures that only registered members can vote, so the ratings won't be ruined by people voting multiple times.

At some point I'll figure out how to interface with the forum database, so that members will be able to rate quests right on the list instead of in a thread on the forum.