Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: Hmmm Multi-Player?  (Read 1930 times)

Ohetoki

• View Profile
Hmmm Multi-Player?
« on: May 21, 2008, 09:12:17 AM »
I just started playing ASCII Sector about three hours ago. You've gone and made text beautiful again. This is a really robust game; I'm already hooked.

I've got quite a few computers on my home network and two nephews that I try to teach through the use of games and gaming. I'm considering letting them take a crack at ASCII Sector's economics and showing them how to compare index values and apply geographical knowledge to the likely profit margins of moving cargoes after I've checked for thematic adult themes. They'll probably like making stuff go boom too.

Lately though, I've been looking for cooperative network games, so I was wondering if the possibility of network play might be somewhere in the future of ASCII Sector. Even as a stand-alone with the two of them working in separate universes I think there are a lot of (fun) lessons to be learned, but working in concert would make it even more fun and educational - for me as well.

It seems like you've fixed one of the multi-player 'problems' of Rogue-likes by letting time slip by without user input. I realize that you've got a lot of development threads just with a short peek at the suggestions board and the planning documents; it'd be great if a possible multi-player experience wasn't ruled out in the future though.

In an off-topic note, I run the MS-DOS version in console full-screen without a problem on my dual-core WinXP SP2 box. It uses the better part of one core, (90% give or take according to task manager) but I haven't seen much of an issue with the program's operation or any slow-down writing this post this with the game running.

Pfhoenix

• View Profile
Re: Hmmm Multi-Player?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 03:00:44 PM »
I do the same things with gaming and my kids (use as teaching tools).

Not to distract from Ascii Sector, which is very well done, but if you're wanting to teach economics, you could always look into the Capitalism games, which provide an excellent view into not just how but why companies operate the way they do, as well as basic supply and demand, stock markets, and other neat things.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Re: Hmmm Multi-Player?
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 04:35:21 PM »
Quote from: "Ohetoki"
Lately though, I've been looking for cooperative network games, so I was wondering if the possibility of network play might be somewhere in the future of ASCII Sector. Even as a stand-alone with the two of them working in separate universes I think there are a lot of (fun) lessons to be learned, but working in concert would make it even more fun and educational - for me as well.

I certainly won't rule out a multiplayer/online version of Ascii Sector some years into the future, but like you said, there's a lot of stuff I want to add before I even consider going down that road. As of right now, I have no experience with network/internet programming, so I would be starting from scratch.

Quote from: "Ohetoki"
In an off-topic note, I run the MS-DOS version in console full-screen without a problem on my dual-core WinXP SP2 box. It uses the better part of one core, (90% give or take according to task manager) but I haven't seen much of an issue with the program's operation or any slow-down writing this post this with the game running.

If you're on WinXP, you should really use the Win32 version. I think the music and sound effects add a lot. There are also some additions and fixes that aren't in the last DOS version, as I'm no longer compiling for DOS. But I'm glad it's running! :)

Quote from: "Pfhoenix"
Not to distract from Ascii Sector, which is very well done, but if you're wanting to teach economics, you could always look into the Capitalism games, which provide an excellent view into not just how but why companies operate the way they do, as well as basic supply and demand, stock markets, and other neat things.

Yeah, Ascii Sector probably isn't the best game to teach economics. The system I've programmed is adequate for the game, but it's very simplified.