Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: 0.32 and SDL (Fullscreen, Options)  (Read 2785 times)

Cort

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://henrik.heimbuerger.de/
0.32 and SDL (Fullscreen, Options)
« on: May 15, 2008, 08:14:17 AM »
First of all, the SDL version is working very well here. I'm playing on a 1.6Ghz Pentium M and the CPU usage rarely exceeds 5% (15% in big dogfights), with no noticeable lag/freezing in any situation.

I haven't yet found a way to go to fullscreen yet, is there one? My primary screen has a resolution of 1400x1050, the Ascii Sector window is pretty tiny on that. At least there needs to be a way to increase the size of the window to (almost) fill the screen.

Now that you added sound and music (love the Privateer MIDIs! :)), I think the options screen needs to be accessible in-game. It's probably not too uncommon that you want to switch off music in-flight, for example.

-- Cort

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Re: 0.32 and SDL (Fullscreen, Options)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 08:32:41 AM »
Glad it's working!

F12 switches between fullscreen and window mode. I'll add an in-game options menu at some later point. I'll probably also add the option to pick a bigger fontset, so that the window will be bigger.

Cort

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 09:01:17 AM »
Quote from: "Christian Knudsen"
F12 switches between fullscreen and window mode.

RTFM, eh? *sigh*
Sorry. :)

I'll add an in-game options menu at some later point. I'll probably also add the option to pick a bigger fontset, so that the window will be bigger.

Just one suggestion: if you don't want to go into that yet, maybe you could add hotkeys for turning music and sound on/off. Ctrl-M and Ctrl-S or F7 and F8 for example. That should be reasonably simple to do and will allow those really requiring the feature to find it until you have the time to add the full-fledged screen.

-- Cort

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 09:21:08 AM »
Quote from: "Cort"
F12 switches between fullscreen and window mode.
RTFM, eh? *sigh* Sorry. :)

Well, in your defence, I didn't add this info to the in-game help screens, and usually ALT+ENTER switches modes. :)

I'll add an in-game options menu at some later point. I'll probably also add the option to pick a bigger fontset, so that the window will be bigger.
Just one suggestion: if you don't want to go into that yet, maybe you could add hotkeys for turning music and sound on/off. Ctrl-M and Ctrl-S or F7 and F8 for example. That should be reasonably simple to do and will allow those really requiring the feature to find it until you have the time to add the full-fledged screen. -- Cort[/quote]
Yeah, that's probably how I'll do it, since an in-game options screen would probably only allow you to change the volume anyway. I don't want players to be able to alter the speed of the game while playing, for example.

Default Settings

• Experienced
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 09:54:25 PM »
It runs well on my Athlon 3500, definitely better than the DOS version.
It's really nice to have sound now and I have to admit the old MIDI music adds more to the game than I expected.
But it was surprising to hear the theme from Tron in there, would you tell us how it got to Trou?

Cort

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 11:56:31 PM »
*fires up his afterburners and runs to Trou :D*

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 10:09:13 AM »
Quote from: "Default Settings"
But it was surprising to hear the theme from Tron in there, would you tell us how it got to Trou?

Maybe a prisoner smuggled it in? :D

I was searching the net for free MIDIs to use for the new base types (Prison, Desert Planet, Refuelling Depot), as naturally there weren't any music from the original Privateer to fit these locations. I found a few movie themes that were of acceptable quality and decided to use the Tron one for the prison base, as it has this mellow, quiet kinda feel to it. It actually just occured to me now that Tron and Trou a spelled pretty similarly...