Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: Melee Combat Movies  (Read 3203 times)

Goliath

• View Profile
Melee Combat Movies
« on: November 10, 2007, 11:31:14 PM »
Just watched both of the movies. Combat is looking interesting, but I have some criticisms:

1. Blocking is sort of odd. The target must be moving rather sporadically for him to do stuff like that. Maybe it should focus more around the cursor?

2. The people are awfully resilient. A slash to the face should do more damage.

3. Maybe there should be a plain miss? Your target could dodge, or the cursor, after you click, could veer to the left/right. Whether this happens or not could depend on your skills (and how much it veers if it does at all).

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Re: Melee Combat Movies
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 10:18:30 AM »
Quote from: "Goliath"
1. Blocking is sort of odd. The target must be moving rather sporadically for him to do stuff like that. Maybe it should focus more around the cursor?

Yeah, right now blocking is semi-random. Focusing more around the cursor would make more sense. Maybe I could add the possibility for an opponent to have a slight delay in reacting to the movement of the cursor, so you could have the cursor hovering around his torso and then quickly move up to his face for a punch/kick before he gets a chance to block his head.

2. The people are awfully resilient. A slash to the face should do more damage.

I haven't programmed damage calculation yet, so it's just random right now.

3. Maybe there should be a plain miss? Your target could dodge, or the cursor, after you click, could veer to the left/right. Whether this happens or not could depend on your skills (and how much it veers if it does at all).

I did some experimenting with having the cursor either wobble a bit like when shooting or randomly jumping to another part of the screen once in a while to simulate the possibility of a complete miss. None of that really woked, but I suppose I could do some experimenting with the cursor sometimes veering off in one direction for a short moment.

Goliath

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 03:35:25 PM »
I just watched #3. The system looks much improved. Now, when an opponent tries to hit you (when that part of the AI is completed, obviously) will there be some sort of player-controlled blocking menu that'll pop up?

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 05:38:08 PM »
For now, when an opponent attacks you, the result will be generated automatically (based on the characters' speed values and other variables, of course). I fear that too many of these "aim and click" screens will bog down combat, so for now only player attacks require this sort of interactivity -- defenses are automatic.