Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: Shooting  (Read 3089 times)

Narushima

• Experienced
    • View Profile
Shooting
« on: October 24, 2007, 10:44:26 PM »
I tried the little shooting program. It's nice, but I had to shot the guy multiple times in the head to kill him. Even a shot in the nose, wich is one of the most deadly, doesn't hurt him too badly.
Do you intend to keep that "arcade" feeling, or do something more realistic ?
And is this solution the one you chosed to put in the game ?

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Re: Shooting
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 11:14:49 PM »
Well, different weapons will of course do different amounts of damage (just like a shotgun will do a lot more damage than a handgun), so for the finished version this will impact how many hits are required to take down a target. I don't think I'll make it much more realistic than it is now, otherwise most fights will probably be over pretty quickly if a single shot to the head is lethal. I'm trying to find a balance between the classic roguelike system, where multiple attacks are required to take down a foe, and a more realistic one.

Yes, this solution will be part of the character combat system, though it might be altered slightly.

Default Settings

• Experienced
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 11:48:13 PM »
How will the system handle fights against several enemies?
I somehow doubt space pirates fight in a honorable "first come, first serve"-style.

Also I would love to have the possibility that a stray shot fired in a ship could damage the ship's hardware.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 12:27:32 AM »
Whenever you do an action, that action takes an amount of time units. The code then adds that amount of time units to the amount of time units each character in the fight has "saved up". If any other character reaches a point where it has "saved up" enough time units to do the action it was waiting to do, it will do it.

I'd just like to be very clear that the shooting program only demonstrates part of the combat system. In the actual game you would select to fire a weapon, then select which character to fire at, and then the shooting screen pops up where you get to aim and fire your shot at the selected target. When you have fired your shot and damage has been dealt to your target, you would be back to the usual combat view and the other characters get to do their actions. So you would only fire one shot at a time.

I'll have to think about stray shots. I guess they're possible. The code could just do a check whenever you completely miss your target to see if you hit anything else (like innocent bystanders or your own ship).

Goliath

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 01:27:54 AM »
What about bleeding? If you hit a guy's leg with a shotgun at close range, he'll be loosing a lot of bodily fluids. Over a period of time this could start doing damage (depending on the body part hit), perhaps?

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 10:34:05 AM »
Right now the player can receive "critical wounds" which will continue to decrease his health until treated. As of right now I haven't added this effect to other characters, but it shouldn't be too difficult.