Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: Ship crew and exit on "escape"  (Read 3231 times)

Narushima

• Experienced
    • View Profile
Ship crew and exit on "escape"
« on: October 21, 2007, 07:34:57 PM »
When the possibility to board enemy ships come, it would certainly be unfair if a big capital is just run by one guy. Anyone with a small ship would have the means to take it on one-on-one character combat.
So here's an idea I saw in an other privateer-like game. Whenever you buy a ship (except for the first one), and according to its size, you would have to hire a minimum number of persons in order to make it fly. Maybe you coud also hire some more, "just in case". But you wouldn't pay for them, just like an engine upgrade, no. You would have to pay them every month, like a normal crew. Of course, there could be diffferent levels of competence, the higher being the most expensive.

And now for something completely different, the exit on escape, and no more on alt+x. I think this is a bad idea. As you have to use the esc key on all the menus, you can always press the key two times instead of one, and that would leave you with an aborted, unsaved game. So maybe you could make a little feature allowing to "return to game", whenever the esc key is pressed during the game.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Re: Ship crew and exit on "escape"
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 11:03:03 PM »
I'm rather reluctant in adding crew and such to the game as I want to keep the "lone wolf in the universe" feel of the game. However, that doesn't mean that there won't be more than one person on capital ships you board. They might have passengers or crew. I just don't want to make the player dependent on using a crew himself.

As to the exit on ESCAPE thing... ALT+X still works and you do indeed get a "Really quit game?" prompt, so I'm not sure what you're talking about ...

Narushima

• Experienced
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 03:23:40 AM »
Yeah, maybe I wasn't very clear, sorry.
Anyway, your answer satisfies me.

And by the way, your game rock, keep going !

Default Settings

• Experienced
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 12:03:34 AM »
I had the same problem as Narushima once. In an unconcentrated moment of gaming I wanted to cancel a dialogue of some sort and hit ESC once too often. Automatically I hit YES when the "Really quit game?" prompt shows up, believing it to be the confirmation for my attempt to cancel and landed in the main menu.

I'd also like to suggest a "Resume game" option in the main menu, this would also allow to change the game speed from within the game.

(I am not entirely sure if I am imagining things, but I got the impression that the actual game speed occasionally changes between two sessions)

I personally would also like to see 2 - 6 crew members on the bigger ships, although I have to admit that it really wouldn't be Privateer anymore. Maybe some functions of the bigger ships would require android workers similar to the repair bot, i.e. an "engineering bot system" to allow the installation of higher version generators.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 12:34:47 AM »
Well, the only thing that uses a confirmation screen is completely quitting your game, so if a confirmation screen pops up, that's it. I don't think I can do much else than have a confirmation screen since it isn't possible to have a "resume game" option at the main menu (due to the way things are programmed, all variables must be cleared when a game is quit). And changing the game speed while playing would be cheating, since then you could just slow down the game considerably when starting a battle in space.

The game speed might indeed sometimes change slightly between sessions. This is due to how the timer is calibrated in Borland Pascal DOS programs and Windows sometimes interfering with that calibration.

I'm really against crew members on the bigger ships (at least on the player's ship). Anyhow, I've got other things I'd like to add to the game before considering it more seriously, so I might change my mind at some point... :)