Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: Corvets  (Read 3287 times)

Pitchblack

• View Profile
Corvets
« on: October 20, 2007, 02:45:13 AM »
I have been playing this for several days and have not seen head nor tail of any kind of corvet or capital ships.

are the plans for implementing larger ships, perhaps gunboats for start which require you to hire crew and use larger slower firing weapons, capable of hurting a fighter but fire slow to the point that they can be dodged.

Of course a larger ship like a cruiser would be an imposing sight and would patrol around planets of high importance and would make pirates think twice before attacking ( pirates don't go near them unless they have their own or bombers)

Dreamer

• View Profile
Re: Corvets
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 02:48:46 AM »
I think corvets would be rather...  Unfruitful, in space, for the same reason that rolling down the windows would be a bad idea.

Or are we thinking of completely different corvets? :heh:
Meteors: Objects that are difficult to avoid going over 750 KPS.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Re: Corvets
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 11:33:52 AM »
Quote from: "Pitchblack"
I have been playing this for several days and have not seen head nor tail of any kind of corvet or capital ships.

Well, there's a Paradigm at Loye Naval Base. That's a capital ship.

Other than that, there's also the Drayman, which I suppose isn't a capital ship in the classic sense, but it's certainly bigger than the usual ships. You can also buy a Drayman at Novy Norilsk (I think) if you've got 1.2 million credits, or a Pegasus at New Beijing for 2 million. These are larger than the usual ships, but don't require a crew, however.

Quote from: "Pitchblack"
are the plans for implementing larger ships, perhaps gunboats for start which require you to hire crew and use larger slower firing weapons, capable of hurting a fighter but fire slow to the point that they can be dodged.

I won't be adding ships that require you to hire a crew, since I don't feel that fits the game. The original Privateer (and hopefully Ascii Sector) give the feel of being a lone freelancer in a large universe, not a commander on a capital ship. So, intriguing as the concept might seem, I don't think it's right for this game.