Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: Great!  (Read 3611 times)

Goliath

• View Profile
Great!
« on: October 20, 2007, 01:54:58 AM »
So we'll be getting the basics of on-base combat? Sounds awesome. Do you have the basic idea of how it will work? Will the different bases have police/guards that will patrol the area, attacking unwanted pilots?

Oh, and 0.2 is awesome. Thanks for making such an addicting game! :D

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Re: Great!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 11:52:20 AM »
The structure will be somewhat classic rogue-like with a semi turnbased system. When you've done an action, your opponents automatically get to do their actions if enough time has passed. For example, you fire your gun which uses, say, 25 time units. The game then decreases 25 from the time left before each of your opponents can do the actions they're set to do. Maybe one opponent wants to fire a rifle, which takes 40 time units to do. His remaining time for action will then be 15, so he doesn't do anything yet. Another opponent might want to run away. If each movement costs him 5 time units, he can move 5 times. This will of course all be done automatically, so all you do is fire your weapon and then watch what everybody else does.

Another idea I have is related to firing guns. I imagine that when you select a target in your line of sight, a display will popup showing the outline of a man (your target). Using the mouse or keyboard you can then aim your weapon's crosshairs, which will wobble back and forth and up and down -- the further away the target is, and the less shooting practice you have, the more the crosshairs will wobble. You can aim at the head, torso, arms and legs. Hitting different parts will have different effects and take various amounts of hits to bring down your target.

I haven't quite decided on your stats yet. Maybe something like Strength, Speed, Pain and Consciousness... Speed affects how many time units your actions take, Strength would be used for melee combat (like knife or fist fighting), Pain is based on the amount of wounds you have, and Consciousness is your overall condition. If your Consciousness drops to zero, you're dead. That's just off the top of my head.

Your different body parts can either have 'Wounds' or 'Critical Wounds'. The latter require treatment or your Pain and Consciousness stats will continually drop, whereas the former will heal by themself over time.

Goliath

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 12:06:08 AM »
A body part-based combat system would add more complexity, definitely. I like it!

Shere Khan

• View Profile
    • http://sherekhan.org
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 10:50:53 PM »
if you use Strength in melee combat only, it will be useless in a gunfight... why not follow the example of Fallout and make heavier guns require greater Strength to wield?
and I think the system will benefit from a Dexterity stat as well. that should directly affect aiming and evasion, and be in turn affected by critical injuries/low health (thus eliminating the need for somewhat obscure Pain).
thus: Spd, Str, Dex, Con. these four straight and familiar stats should do the trick. since we're only shaping stats system for combat situations, we shouldn't need Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma... and even Luck and Perception, though they have their uses, are too complicated.
any skills to raise?

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 11:08:08 PM »
I've changed my ideas a bit and the system I'm developing right now just has a general Health stat for all characters in the combat. The lower your health stat, the lower your strength, speed, dexterity and such will be. I think this keeps things somewhat simple, but still allows for some measure of complexity as damage to your different body parts will affect things as well. Damage to your gun arm will for example affect your aim, while damage to your legs affect how fast you can move. So I've basically decided to scrap the usual RPG stats system.

I'm working on a small example program of firing a weapon at an opponent and doing damage to body parts. I'll make it available for download when it's done to get some feedback on the system.