Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: New name, same game  (Read 3131 times)

Nikolai

• View Profile
New name, same game
« on: September 28, 2007, 06:56:06 PM »

This is something I’ve been considering doing for more than a year, and now I’ve finally decided to pull the trigger (pun intended). I’m changing the name of Hostile Takeover to Hidden Asset.

Hidden Asset logo

There are two primary reasons for this name change:

There’s a lot of stuff out there already called “Hostile Takeover”. The Syndicate co-op, a board game, sci-fi books, movies, etc. It’s a name that’s used for a lot of entertainment products, and as such it’s just too generic.

The name also poorly describes the actual game I’m making. I’ve had people think that it’s either a corporate strategy/RTS game or an all-out action game. It’s neither. It’s a stealth game with a focus on puzzle-like level design. Having a name that suggests a different game than the one I’m actually making probably isn’t a good idea.

The name Hidden Asset is a much better fit. It still suggests a game that has something to do with corporations and businesses, but instead of making you think of an action game, it makes you think of secrets and stealth… and conspiracies, which the game will have its fair share of.

The corporate assassins in-game are also referred to as hidden assets, so the name makes sense from that perspective as well. Finally, I’ve been able to find practically no other entertainment products with this name, so that’s definitely also a plus!

So there you have it. Hope you like the new name as much as I do!

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Re: Cargo Expansion? More Afterburners? Hackable Transponder
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 11:28:30 PM »
You can already buy a cargo expansion that increases your cargo hold with 50%. It's in the manual, however I forgot to write in the manual that you can't buy the cargo expansion for a Demon or Centurion.

Different afterburner levels won't make it into the game. The way the game engine is set up only allows for a max speed of 900 KPS. Only gun shots can travel faster. It's all tied to how often the screen refreshes. A gunshot actually moves one square every time the screen refreshes.

I really like your configurable transponder idea. Something like that will likely be added to the game at some point. There should be a downside to it, though, as it would otherwise be too powerful. Maybe like you said; distance is a factor in how effective it is. The closer other ships are to you, the easier it will be for them to identify you correctly. And maybe the transponder hack mechanism uses a lot of energy, so your energy reserves will be depleted quickly. You'd then have to make a choice between using the hack and not have energy for guns and afterburners, but hopefully fooling your enemies -- or not using the hack and just engage in combat.

Nikolai

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 01:50:08 PM »
Quote from: "Christian Knudsen"
You can already buy a cargo expansion that increases your cargo hold with 50%. It's in the manual, however I forgot to write in the manual that you can't buy the cargo expansion for a Demon or Centurion.

Fair enough.  The Demon and Centurion aren't really built as cargo runners anyway.

Different afterburner levels won't make it into the game. The way the game engine is set up only allows for a max speed of 900 KPS. Only gun shots can travel faster. It's all tied to how often the screen refreshes. A gunshot actually moves one square every time the screen refreshes.

I see.  Maybe I'm just old, but it seems like it was easier to run from the militia if you had a cargo hold full of Brilliance in the past.  :)

I really like your configurable transponder idea. Something like that will likely be added to the game at some point. There should be a downside to it, though, as it would otherwise be too powerful. Maybe like you said; distance is a factor in how effective it is. The closer other ships are to you, the easier it will be for them to identify you correctly. And maybe the transponder hack mechanism uses a lot of energy, so your energy reserves will be depleted quickly. You'd then have to make a choice between using the hack and not have energy for guns and afterburners, but hopefully fooling your enemies -- or not using the hack and just engage in combat.

Sure, that works.  Or making it prohibitively expensive to keep upgrading might frustrate those who are stalled in fixing and upgrading their ships or buying new ones.  Or perhaps a hackable transponder can be hacked by more than just you, meaning that very rare but exceptionally skilled hackers can change your profile without your permission from a distance.  (Imagine being changed to look like a Kilrathi vessel close to a military base.)

I can't help but wonder if this kind of thing could be built more deeply into this game (as long as the extra complications didn't detract from gameplay, of course).  I always thought it slightly disappointing that the only "software" you could buy in the original Privateer were maps of the local systems and quadrants; surely, space pilots would depend on software to do so much more than that in the future!

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 04:26:43 PM »
Quote from: "Nikolai"
Or making it prohibitively expensive to keep upgrading might frustrate those who are stalled in fixing and upgrading their ships or buying new ones.  Or perhaps a hackable transponder can be hacked by more than just you, meaning that very rare but exceptionally skilled hackers can change your profile without your permission from a distance.  (Imagine being changed to look like a Kilrathi vessel close to a military base.)

Yeah, those are interesting possibilities. :)

Quote from: "Nikolai"
I can't help but wonder if this kind of thing could be built more deeply into this game (as long as the extra complications didn't detract from gameplay, of course).  I always thought it slightly disappointing that the only "software" you could buy in the original Privateer were maps of the local systems and quadrants; surely, space pilots would depend on software to do so much more than that in the future!

Another piece of software you could buy would be computer controllers for turrets. They could even come in three different price ranges -- the cheapest wouldn't be very precise in its targeting, while the most expensive would be very precise.

Nie

• View Profile
    • http://nieenden.googlepages.com/asciisectut
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 04:53:33 AM »
Another piece of software you could buy would be computer controllers for turrets. They could even come in three different price ranges -- the cheapest wouldn't be very precise in its targeting, while the most expensive would be very precise.

Ahh, I was hoping for this. As to me the turret is a waste of money right now; I don't particularity like to fly in a straight line without afterburners for long.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Re: Cargo Expansion? More Afterburners? Hackable Transpond
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 12:15:11 PM »
I almost feel turrets are overpowered right now, especially rear turrets. I have one installed on my Ulysses and whenever I'm attacked I just fly in a straight line. The attackers then form up right behind my ship, right in the line of my Meson Blaster with a Gun Cooler Mk III. They don't survive for very long. :D

Nie

• View Profile
    • http://nieenden.googlepages.com/asciisectut
Re: Cargo Expansion? More Afterburners? Hackable Transpond
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 05:41:35 PM »
I almost feel turrets are overpowered right now, especially rear turrets. I have one installed on my Ulysses and whenever I'm attacked I just fly in a straight line. The attackers then form up right behind my ship, right in the line of my Meson Blaster with a Gun Cooler Mk III. They don't survive for very long. :D

Aye but thats what AI tweaks are for. Generally even in regular dogfights the AI does the same thing. A fighter will cricle then go straight at you, then repeat the process, with the circles getting larger the more a ship is damaged. As with chasing you, it is generally a straight line so you're right when it makes it pretty easy, though unrealistic. I'd like to see ships that dodge you, perhaps turning a undepleted shield side your way when getting attacked. Of course its much different with say a Drayman who just slowly floats around using it multiple turrets.