Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: Flash in warp jumping  (Read 175 times)

MS

Flash in warp jumping
« on: March 22, 2019, 08:58:28 AM »
I find the flash effect in warp jumping a bit too aggressive, while taking it occurs often - due to how the game is meant to be played - it may become a little bit of a chore to experience.

GLI

• Hidden Asset Alpha Tester
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Re: Flash in warp jumping
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 09:21:15 PM »
I find the flash effect in warp jumping a bit too aggressive[...]

Did you know this game was called "Privateer: Ascii Sector" in past? Aggressive flash effect was in original "Wing Commander: Privateer" too. It's intentional - pilot must be "stunned" (dizzied) after jump through hyperspace. Player have enough time to wink or close eyes.
Genuine Lifelike Individual

MS

Re: Flash in warp jumping
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 11:40:50 PM »
I do know the ASCII Sector is a remake of a Wing Commander title. On the other hand, I do not really think this should be a game attempting to break the fourth wall, like, to punish the player the way the protagonist ought to be punished. ASCII Sector, in the end, is not a simulator by genre. If it does attempt to be "serious", it is the wrong way done. In this case, it cripples the gameplay qualities and may push some people off, especially if these people have health issues making it particularly painful for them to repeatedly watch flashing lights, minding the effect relies upon contrast between getting adjusted to a very dark scheme and then suddenly boomed with all white screen. Remake should correct what the original brought too far, if so. Following blindly, is ideological and this never gets things where they should be.