Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: game crash when i use miniature hydraulics then use key card  (Read 5300 times)

Gabu

• View Profile
    • My Website
When i use the miniature hydraulics . then try to open lock doors with the key card the game crashes.

Here is the error log.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Re: game crash when i use miniature hydraulics then use key card
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 10:00:47 AM »
Thanks for reporting this! Was the miniature hydraulics on the door you tried to unlock with the keycard or was it on a different door?

EDIT: Oh, the light isn't on on the miniature hydraulics, so looks like it wasn't attached to a door on the current map. I suspect the hydraulics may not have anything to do with the crash. Will have to do some tests.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 10:14:08 AM by Christian Knudsen »

Gabu

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 11:17:12 PM »
have you've figure out the issue ? I still can't pin point the issue . I tired using the electric power override and the game still crashed with the exact error log. You might be right that its not the weapons that is crashing the game.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 09:09:50 AM »
Not yet. From where in the code it crashes, it seems to be an issue with creating the selection border (the colored outline around the selected object), but I haven't been able to replicate the crash or figure out what's causing it.

Does it only crash when you select a specific door? Does it also crash when you don't have a weapon/device in use? What game resolution are you running at?

Gabu

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 06:54:32 PM »
hi sorry for the late response. Ya so apparently this only occurs if you use that door . I tried other doors and it works.It only happens when a device is in use. The resolution i am playing at is 1280 by 720.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 08:43:25 PM »
Thanks!

Does it happen with any device or only the miniature hydraulics? Which door (and on which map?) is the miniature hydraulics attached to?

Gabu

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 09:47:00 PM »
No it also happens with the electric override . If you look at the picture from the original post it only happens with the door that is highlighted .

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 10:52:58 AM »
Okay. I'm still unable to reproduce the crash. :(

BUT... I know why it crashes in that part of the code. When drawing the selection border around the selected object (the door, in this case), the code traces around the outline of the door. But for some reason, the door graphic isn't loaded properly, so the code tries to trace an outline around nothing. That's what causes the crash. I just don't know why the door graphic isn't loaded properly for tracing around. But I can still change the code so that the crash doesn't happen, i.e. fixing the symptom rather than the disease.

Gabu

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 08:10:51 PM »
Here is video of how i made it crash . It also shows the options i am playing on .
Hopefully this helps  ;).

https://youtu.be/n-j9ZoTXkw8

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 08:53:10 PM »
Thanks for this. But it still doesn't crash for me. It could be an OpenGL issue as that is rather finicky and sometimes behaves differently on different computers. I will double-check all the OpenGL calls around the code that makes the selection outline.

Gabu

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2018, 01:51:25 AM »
i think i figured out the issue !!!!! So first of all it has nothing to do with the dimensions as i played it 1920 by 1080 and still had the issue. after numerous times of testing i believe it has something to do with the mouse constraint option. As when i turn it off the game has not crashed at that time. Unfortunately if i am the only one that is getting this issue this might be a needle in a haystack situation and it might just have to do with my computer. 

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2018, 10:05:54 AM »
Huh, that's certainly interesting!

Is this consistent behavior? For example, if you exit the game (i.e. close the game application completely) and then start it up again, does it still not crash with mouse constraint off?

Does changing other options (for example switching between full screen/window mode) affect the crash?

Does zooming in and out have any effect on the crash?

Gabu

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2018, 05:38:06 PM »
so that part of the game still crashes when i turn the app off and turn it back on again .It doesn't crash if i do that .

It will crash in full screen or window mode it doesn't matter.

The game will crash if you zoom in and zoom out. it also has a new error line tooi

I assume that mouse constraint is not the issue.I'll keep trying to figure out what the is issue.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2018, 08:11:44 AM »
Thanks. Yeah, that's the same type of crash. I think I'll just make sure it doesn't crash when this event occurs. I don't think you'll be able to track down exactly what is causing it as it is most likely an OpenGL issue that's almost impossible to track down just by changing options and such, since OpenGL crashes don't always occur with much logic or consistency.