Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: Mouse Edge Scroll Leaves The Map  (Read 161 times)

Gabu

• View Profile
    • My Website
Mouse Edge Scroll Leaves The Map
« on: September 05, 2018, 02:30:35 AM »
If the player leaves the cursor on the edge of the screen it will leave the map completely and the only thing u can see is black (Also  the Ui). I understand you have the button that centers the camera to the player . But you may want to consider creating boundary's so that it doesn't go completely off the map .

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Re: Mouse Edge Scroll Leaves The Map
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 09:57:25 AM »
I've fiddled around with this before. The issue with creating boundaries is that the map is diamond-shaped and not square, so the boundaries would be oddly slanted. This could be annoying if you're for example at the left edge and want to scroll to an area further down and to the left. You wouldn't be able to scroll left and down, because you're already at the left edge, so you'd have to scroll down and then left.

The solution would then be to make a square boundary that encapsulates the whole map, but then you'd still end up with areas in the corners where you go competely off the map into blackness.

GLI

• Hidden Asset Alpha Tester
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 08:33:50 PM »
The solution would then be to make a square boundary that encapsulates the whole map, but then you'd still end up with areas in the corners where you go competely off the map into blackness.

Well, then I propose to make some funny comment when blackness will come:
"World map this way [with flashing arrow pointing direction]"
... and option to use:
"Press C key to center on player".

Without such thing some players could start panic... ;D
Genuine Lifelike Individual

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 11:55:05 AM »
Yeah, I might just add a "Press [binded shortcut key] to center on player" message when you get too far off map.