Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: File-Related Bug  (Read 1895 times)

Nikolai

• View Profile
File-Related Bug
« on: September 14, 2007, 03:10:03 PM »
First of all, let me congratulate you on an absolutely incredible project!  I adored Privateer, and this ASCII realization adds an extra dimension to it somehow... maybe it's that imagination is more mandatory, since you need to imagine the people you come in contact with, the ships in combat, and so on, I'm not sure.

So it makes me sad to post a bug.  Really.  What makes me even more sad is that I'm away from my "play computer" now and have to do the same thing I (as a software engineer) hate to see users do: post a "sometimes" bug with few specifics.

Sometimes, when I tried to save with different names over and over in the same slot on the Quine4000, the game would object... telling me that too many files were open, and giving me an error code, but I can't remember that code now.  "\0", maybe?  Does that help?

I'll try to remember to write down more specifics on this bug if I see it again.  If there are contents of a particular file that might help, let me know, and I'll try to collect that, too.

Again, amazing work!  In Pascal, yet!  You have my awe and respect, sir!

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Re: File-Related Bug
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 03:22:58 PM »
Thanks for your feedback and kind words!

The bug is probably due to an oversight on my part. When you open a file in Pascal, you first assign it, then either reset or rewrite it, and then finally close it when you're done. It seems there's a file that I'm not closing, so when you save multiple times, there are too many files open. I'll take a look at the code and see if I can figure out what it's missing.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Re: File-Related Bug
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 03:39:00 PM »
I've fixed this and released a version 0.1.1.