Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: Blank screen when starting Ascii Sector in both Lubuntu 14.04 and Xubuntu 16.0.1  (Read 881 times)

hwilkins

• View Profile
Hi all,

I have downloaded and extracted the asciisec folder into my home directory.  I have installed the SDL2 library as advised in the readme.txt.  When I start ascii sector either at the terminal or from Thurar file manager a title bar with Ascii Sector 0.7.2 appears but there is nothing inside the window.  I can close the window to exit Ascii Sector.  The log.txt file is as follows:

SDL video initialized.
SDL timer initialized.
SDL audio initialized.
Opening audio...
Loading sounds...
Setting video mode...
Setting up OpenGL...
Loading font map...

I can change the screen resolution between 1280 x 800 and 640 x 400.  Are there any diagnostic steps I can take. 

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Similar issue as this?

hwilkins

• View Profile
Thanks for the advice.

Seems to be a similar issue which prompted me to join the forum to raise the issue.  I know both the Ubuntu flavours I have used are lightweight versions of Ubuntu.  Don't know if its helps but both TOME4 via T-Engine and Unreal World work and they also seem to use SDL libraries for their graphics.  Would be a shame to miss out on this game but with so much else working do not anticipate changing an operating system for one game.

Would be good if there was a test a could run on my laptop to help identify the issue.  Task Manager runs shows ascii sector using 20% processor and 18MiB RAM.

Noticed on the development forum that Mardigann noted linux mint xfce 32 bits: after installing all dependencies, the program renders the game window, but completely empty. just the frame.

Same issue again.

I know that both Mardigann and myself use xfce 32bit based Linux flavours.  You would think this issue would be documented on a SDL development site to make program development easier for you.  Possibly may need an xfce package to be installed to help faciliate SDL but have no idea which one.

Thanks again for your help

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
I suspect this to be an OpenGL issue, since I don't remember it ever being a problem before switching over from pure SDL to SDL+OpenGL. The game should support OpenGL down to version 1.1, though, so it's most likely a driver issue.

I could try and PM you a download link to the version of Hidden Asset that I'm currently alpha testing, as that uses the same rendering setup. If that also renders blank, then it is indeed most likely a driver issue -- if not, then I probably messed up the rendering pipeline for Ascii Sector somewhere.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 01:23:08 PM by Christian Knudsen »

hwilkins

• View Profile
Thanks for that.  I have used grepped my glxinfo to get the Open GL info.  This is as follows:

glxinfo | grep OpenGLOpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) 945GM x86/MMX/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 1.4 Mesa 11.2.0
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 2.0 Mesa 11.2.0
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 1.0.16
OpenGL ES profile extensions:

I am running Xubuntu 16.04 on an old Toshiba Intel laptop so have up to date drivers versions except the latest quarter's stack update which came out after Xubuntu.  I will install these once the Intel graphics driver installer software has been updated.

If you could send me the alpha for Hidden Asset I will try that and let you know what happens.

Thanks for you assistance

Howard

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
That all checks out and should definitely be able to run the game. Odd.

I've sent you a PM with the download links to the Hidden Asset alpha.