Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: Feedback  (Read 515 times)

SmartK8

• Hidden Asset Alpha Tester
    • View Profile
Feedback
« on: May 22, 2016, 01:20:47 PM »
Hi, first the technical part.. here's my "report":

Bugs:

- first save terminated game immediately (save was there though), consequent saves worked OK
- almost all the time when I load a game while playing it terminates the game (hard crash)
- when I tried to pickup target corpse in level two error has occured (error1.png)
- after 3rd cutscene (2nd target killed) some (all?) doors are locked again (even though they were unlocked before, maybe it is explained in missing cutscene, dunno)
- when I finished the second map (leaving it), error has occured (error2.png, error3.png).. so I don't know if there's some 3rd scenario or ending or anything (probably not, if maps folder is indication)
- log didn't contained anything special when error occured, even thought I was running a debug version

Error1.png

Error2.png

Error3.png

Suggestions:

- when sneak pick up a body and then drop it, I'm suddenly in walking mode. I know when you're carrying to technically switches to walking, but it is really unintuitive
- the straight (on one level) electrical connections can be sometimes hard to distinguished whether they're running on lower level or current level (mostly in 2nd scene)
- when I sneak behind someone with knife and slit his throat, he screams quite loudly (that's weird), but even weired a guy near him ignores this quite loud scream (I would made it less pronounced/loud)
- it is not apparent if I attack with a knife when equipped but hidden, that could probably be solved by showing attack icon of knife instead of fist when having knife equipped
- I would welcome a keyboard (or icon) shortcut to switch weapons in both hands (left hand <-> right hand)
- sometimes I sneak somewhere and then immediately sneak somewhere else, but it is interpreted as running (double-click), I would like explicit shift-click for running, alt-click for sneaking or something like
that (instead of modes).. or have modes, but double-click can't override it then.. this killed me most of the times
- at first I didn't know how many bullets were left in the pistol (seems like there's no limit), it would be nice to know instead of worrying (when I tried to "shoot everyone run-through")
- FPS was fine for me at all times, but only 40FPS it seemed to be locked, it would be nice to have either option to set it manually or round it to standard 30FPS/60FPS/120FPS
- resulutions doesn't include a support for 4K (as my monitor is natively 4K) i.e. 3840x2160, it would be welcomed (I have to play either windowed or "uglier" at lower resolution)
- I don't know what to do in mission but that probably can be ignored if it is explained in (at this point) missing cutscenes

But other than that, it was quite challenging game as it is. That's really good. I really liked it, there were some bugs and some things I would tweak, but hey for an alpha version it was great. I know how hard it is to gobble these games together and finish the last 10%. So kudos, great job. You'll see if others will support or rip appart my suggestions, some of them are technical and are quite straight-forward. The rest is subjective and will depend on if other people will agree with me.

regards,
Kate

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Re: Feedback
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 02:17:13 PM »
(I moved this to its own thread.)

Awesome! Thanks for your feedback! Looks like there's a big issue with reading temporary files. This is on Windows, correct? Where did you unzip the game folder to? If you try running the game with 'Run as administrator' do you still get crashes?

- after 3rd cutscene (2nd target killed) some (all?) doors are locked again (even though they were unlocked before, maybe it is explained in missing cutscene, dunno)

Unless you made sure to keep the doors open, doors unlocked with keycards will relock automatically after a couple of seconds. Is this what happened? Or were opened doors suddenly closed and locked again?

- log didn't contained anything special when error occured, even thought I was running a debug version

Debug version just gives more details on where a crash happened in the popup window, so that's fine. Though it should have output some info to the log file about not being able to read files. Weird.

- resulutions doesn't include a support for 4K (as my monitor is natively 4K) i.e. 3840x2160, it would be welcomed (I have to play either windowed or "uglier" at lower resolution)

What's the biggest resolution on the list? And what happens if you type in your resolution manually under 'Custom resolution'?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 02:19:49 PM by Christian Knudsen »

SmartK8

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 02:51:55 PM »
Awesome! Thanks for your feedback! Looks like there's a big issue with reading temporary files. This is on Windows, correct? Where did you unzip the game folder to? If you try running the game with 'Run as administrator' do you still get crashes?

Hi, yes. It is Windows 10. I just unzipped it to a normal disk (I have like 8 of them), this one is 512GB SSD specifically for games. When running it "as administrator", it's still the same. (I only could repeat loading bug and leaving map bug).

Unless you made sure to keep the doors open, doors unlocked with keycards will relock automatically after a couple of seconds. Is this what happened? Or were opened doors suddenly closed and locked again?

I didn't realize that. That would probably be it than.

Debug version just gives more details on where a crash happened in the popup window, so that's fine. Though it should have output some info to the log file about not being able to read files. Weird.

Yeah, it contained few "startup" lines. All ending appended with an OK line.

What's the biggest resolution on the list? And what happens if you type in your resolution manually under 'Custom resolution'?

The highest one is 2560x1440. If I try to manually enter >2560 it reverts back to 2560 (lower resolution works i.e. 2559) same for the vertical resolution. I'm running 150% scaling in Windows 10, I wonder if it has anything to do with it. Because 1.5*2560=3840. So I guess problem is not the list of resolutions, but that it is not multiplied by a scale in Windows. I as a programmer don't probably care, if it is 2560 in text, but 3840 in reality, other people might.

regards,
Kate

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 03:21:51 PM »
Hi, yes. It is Windows 10. I just unzipped it to a normal disk (I have like 8 of them), this one is 512GB SSD specifically for games. When running it "as administrator", it's still the same. (I only could repeat loading bug and leaving map bug).

I meant more in which folder, as maybe it was placed in a folder that the game didn't have permission to write temporary files to. It could also be an issue with the first save crash leaving a somewhat corrupted save file that carried over to other saves when continuing on from that one. If you start a brand new game and save it and then try to load that save, does it still crash? Can you email me one of the savegames that crashes?

The highest one is 2560x1440. If I try to manually enter >2560 it reverts back to 2560 (lower resolution works i.e. 2559) same for the vertical resolution. I'm running 150% scaling in Windows 10, I wonder if it has anything to do with it. Because 1.5*2560=3840. So I guess problem is not the list of resolutions, but that it is not multiplied by a scale in Windows. I as a programmer don't probably care, if it is 2560 in text, but 3840 in reality, other people might.

Yeah, definitely sounds like a problem with Windows 10 scaling. SDL just reports the current resolution to the program, and that is used as the max resolution allowed. I'm not sure how I can get SDL to realize that there's Windows 10 scaling going on. I'll have to look into that...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 03:27:38 PM by Christian Knudsen »

SmartK8

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 03:35:11 PM »
I've sent the saves + explanation. The game is stored in a E:\Games\Hidden Asset it is a normal folder by all the accounts. Nothing unusual about it. To me it seems that it crashed because of naming. I've tried to erase old saves and this time it worked well (first save). So I don't think it's anything to do with folder. But I might be wrong.

I would try to multiply displayed resolutions by detected scaling, while still internally using those detected. I played many games and they all display 3840x2160 (so the scaling is taken into factor). It was confusing first time and I played it in windowed mode just to be sure.

Also I forgot one suggestion:

- the elevator box is not apparent and sometimes hard to find, you have to know it's there and where (a bit of pixel hunting)

regards,
Kate

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 03:59:58 PM »
I've sent the saves + explanation. The game is stored in a E:\Games\Hidden Asset it is a normal folder by all the accounts. Nothing unusual about it. To me it seems that it crashed because of naming. I've tried to erase old saves and this time it worked well (first save). So I don't think it's anything to do with folder. But I might be wrong.

Thanks for the files. I get the crash consistenly when leaving the map, but not when loading the Kate04 savegame, waiting for it to load and then load the Kate05 save. Weird. Will have to dig deeper into that.

I'm not all too familiar with Windows 10 (still on Windows 7 myself), but the 'Games' folder is a standard folder on Windows 10, isn't it? I mean like Documents and so on. I still can't help but suspect that Windows doesn't like it when I write files in that folder. If you try to move the Hidden Asset folder to for example the desktop and run it from there, do you still get loading crashes?

I would try to multiply displayed resolutions by detected scaling, while still internally using those detected. I played many games and they all display 3840x2160 (so the scaling is taken into factor). It was confusing first time and I played it in windowed mode just to be sure.

The issue is detecting that there's scaling going on at all. I'm not sure how to do that with SDL, so I'll have to read up on that.

SmartK8

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2016, 04:18:43 PM »
I tried it in Desktop, and it I think we have a culprit. My Kaspersky detected it as a (false positive) trojan:

PDM:Trojan.Win32.Generic

I've added it to trusted applications and it works now. Maybe it's a good candidate for a future troubleshooting info about your game. But at least that one is solved.

Regarding scaling, it should be detectable in some Windows information. My guess would be in Display/Monitor information. Then again I'm programming in C#, I'm not sure about your language (Free Pascal?).

regards,
Kate

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 04:30:07 PM »
Ahh, great. Yup, add that to the troubleshooting list!

Yes, I'm programming in Free Pascal, but using SDL to set up a rendering context and getting resolution info through that.

SmartK8

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2016, 04:55:15 PM »
1) Isn't it possible to do some specific Windows conditional directive that would do it for Windows only?

2) Otherwise I would do at least some little font note under resolution "(* scaling can affect resolutions available)" or something. 

3) You can also add another troubleshooting, to switch to Properties\Compatibility\Disable display scaling on high DPI settings, this seems to fix it. It shows correct resolutions (and works too).

4) You can of course leave it as it is, but it created some confusion for me. I looked and it seems that SDL doesn't support Windows scaling (DPI) at this point.

regards,
Kate

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2016, 11:04:15 PM »
3) You can also add another troubleshooting, to switch to Properties\Compatibility\Disable display scaling on high DPI settings, this seems to fix it. It shows correct resolutions (and works too).

For now, I've added a troubleshooting.txt document that suggests doing this.