Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: Linux SDL 2 dependencies  (Read 404 times)

liamdawe

• Hidden Asset Alpha Tester
    • View Profile
Linux SDL 2 dependencies
« on: May 18, 2016, 08:25:43 PM »
Okay first thing, could you bundle all the SDL libs you require? Hunting down missing deps does become a bit of a nuisance :)

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Re: Linux SDL 2 dependencies
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 08:28:21 PM »
Linux users have previously not liked when I've included them in downloads. And they really shouldn't be included, since they're shared resources.

liamdawe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 08:33:37 PM »
Honestly, I've not really heard many arguments against it. It's very rare for it to cause issues, the time it will cause issues is when you depend on the system libs and they get updated and break your game. That actually happens quite often.

The point is it reduces user frustration of "go and install lib x, lib y, lib z" etc. I'm sure you get the idea.

Steam even has the "steam runtime" on Linux which is a big collection of libs, and generally developers who put it on Steam link against it.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 08:38:13 PM »
When I originally distributed Ascii Sector on Linux, I included the SDL libraries for the exact reasons you're giving. And the only feedback was that I shouldn't do that as users didn't want multiple copies of the libraries whenever they downloaded something. :-\

For the actual release of the game, it will of course be distributed as a proper .deb package that will check for and install missing dependencies. For testing versions, it's just a zip.

liamdawe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 08:42:20 PM »
Honestly, that hasn't been an issue since hard drives became even remotely big. There are certain libs you shouldn't include of course, but SDL behaves differently between versions. That one you should for sure bundle.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 08:48:13 PM »
I don't think it was a hard drive space issue, more a "that's not the Linux way" thing. But, eh, I'll probably add the libs for the next test version. :)

Tchey

• View Profile
    • Jeux1d100.net
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2016, 10:05:26 PM »
As long as there is a very easy way to install them, i don't mind. This is perfect, quick, clean and easy.

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install libsdl2-2.0
sudo apt-get install libsdl2-mixer-2.0
sudo apt-get install libsdl2-image-2.0