If you want to be an alpha tester for Hidden Asset, you need to send a request to join the "Hidden Asset Alpha Tester" forum group:
- If you're not already a forum member, sign up.
- Go to Profile > Modify Profile > Group Membership.
- Scroll down and request membership of the "Hidden Asset Alpha Tester" group (there's a box where it asks you to write a reason, but just leave that blank
When your request has been approved (I have to do this manually, so it might take a few hours), you can go here
to download the game.Debugging
For the Windows and Linux versions, there are two executables: a normal version and a debug version. The debug version may run a bit slower on older computers, so if you're not getting a steady 40 FPS (hit F1 to toggle FPS on/off), you may want to use the normal version. But if you can use the debug version, please do so as this will provide valuable information in case of a crash:
- On Windows, the debug information will pop up in a window during a crash.
- On Linux, the debug information will be outputted to the terminal, so please run the game from the terminal (navigate to the game directory and run it with ./hiddenassetdebug).
- Please take a screenshot of the debug information and paste it here or send it to me directly in an email, while also letting me know where you were in the game/what you were doing just before the crash.
(Note that on Linux, you may have to set the run permission of the executable with 'chmod -x hiddenasset' to allow you to run it, as the permission is sometimes lost when compressing the game files.)Feedback
When you're done with the game, please send me the stats.txt file that on Windows and Linux will be located in the game directory and on Mac OS X will be in your '~/Library/Application Support/Hidden Asset' directory (Mac OS X version not yet available!). You can either email it to email@example.com
or write a post with a link to where I can download it.
Also, please share any thoughts or comments about the game in this forum!
Thank you for your help!Linux dependencies
If you don't already have SDL2, SDL2_mixer and SDL_image installed on your system, they can be installed with the following commands in the terminal (given that they're in your distribution's repositories):
sudo apt-get install libsdl2-2.0
sudo apt-get install libsdl2-mixer-2.0
sudo apt-get install libsdl2-image-2.0