Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: Too much pepper  (Read 870 times)

Iltsuger

• Hidden Asset Alpha Tester
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Too much pepper
« on: February 22, 2016, 01:58:22 PM »
I have a character that's blinded by pepper spray and they're basically... Should I start over? I've got some pirate guests on board slowly punching me to death and I can't even fire blindly at them. I can't tell if there's some way to fight back. You'd think one would be able to flail at melee attackers, at least, or pull the pin on a grenade maybe.

Oh well, that's what I get for pretending I'm being nice by picking up ejected pilots but really harvesting them for their credits :)

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Re: Too much pepper
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 04:56:30 PM »
Yeah, pepper spray is kinda overpowered...

GLI

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 09:07:20 PM »
I have a character that's blinded by pepper spray and they're basically... Should I start over? I've got some pirate guests on board slowly punching me to death and I can't even fire blindly at them. I can't tell if there's some way to fight back.

There is some slim chance to (blind) escape to cockpit. NPCs cant go there so you can wait. Of course combat mode is still active so you must "walk away" blindness.

If you still have older version of the game then it can be problematic if opponents "accumulated" combat time...
Genuine Lifelike Individual

Iltsuger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 12:40:31 AM »
I did manage to pull the pin on a grenade. I died :)

I was in the cockpit, GLI... maybe you mean that they can't go fully in? But the "X" cargo craft only has three lateral tiles of cockpit space and the next is the doorway, so I couldn't step out of melee range, if that's what you mean.

Just halving attack values and maybe making EVERY square attackable might be a way to deal with it. Like you accidentally attack a square that has no enemy in it, but that tile is revealed for a time to let you slowly stumble your way toward attacking the proper target, albeit at still halved values.

Or... if you happen to be wearing a helmet, maybe the player could remove the helmet and they're no longer blinded (until they're sprayed sufficiently again). Like a given helmet could have a hidden BLINDED value similar to health, that shows up on the blinded meter when sprayed. Could allow for enhancement headgear of other kinds, like targeting assist, melee assist, night vision, seeker vision (missions where you have to find people who show up on the vision because they were "painted" by a laser)... :)

GLI

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 12:26:36 PM »
I was in the cockpit, GLI... maybe you mean that they can't go fully in? But the "X" cargo craft only has three lateral tiles of cockpit space and the next is the doorway, so I couldn't step out of melee range, if that's what you mean.

Hmm... looks like hostile NPCs are able to close follow PC during combat mode. We can't just "shut doors" before their faces. Only possible thing is running around and praying for "miss a shots" (if they have ranged weapon).

Or... if you happen to be wearing a helmet, maybe the player could remove the helmet and they're no longer blinded (until they're sprayed sufficiently again). Like a given helmet could have a hidden BLINDED value similar to health, that shows up on the blinded meter when sprayed. Could allow for enhancement headgear of other kinds, like targeting assist, melee assist, night vision, seeker vision (missions where you have to find people who show up on the vision because they were "painted" by a laser)... :)

Helmets should have "face cover" like this:
http://www.aetcoinc.com/image/cache/data/Monadnock/TR1000-500x500.jpg

Bedsides, using pepper spray in closed rooms is not smart (user could be affected by pepper too).

Pepper spray is not a gun:

;)
Genuine Lifelike Individual

Iltsuger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 01:24:54 PM »
I like to think of them more as space survival helmets, although I guess that's not what they are I don't think, since I'm pretty sure some of the people I "rescue" don't have helmets. Maybe they all do? I never checked.

Cthulhu

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 08:24:31 AM »
There is some slim chance to (blind) escape to cockpit. NPCs cant go there so you can wait.
Oh, I had forgotten that. (I wonder if that's in the manual?). So ascii sector is set in a post 9/11 world.

In real life, you don't actually get 100% blind by pepper spray. It just hurts like hell to see, and your eyes are filled with tears (and you have snot running down the nose and the mouth is drooling). Maybe have a limited vision field to a few squares in front of you, and mask every other tile with a "#" or something?

If "BLINDED" maybe the player can "Blind punch in air" and have a <small number>% chance of hitting?