Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: Weird Confed Behavior  (Read 595 times)

Iltsuger

• Hidden Asset Alpha Tester
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Weird Confed Behavior
« on: February 04, 2016, 12:24:55 PM »
I'd never really been in quite this situation before, so maybe it's a long-standing thing, but I jumped into a system with the starting tin-can and noticed a hostile craft. I decided it was best to just run and hope that things would reset when I jumped back in again (they didn't, the same situation was persistent). As I was jumping out, though, a confed ship (G, I don't remember the name) appeared and started fighting the craft.

When I jumped back in, they seemed to still be fighting, but only for a second before the G zipped away, leaving me to fight the Dralthi. I didn't survive, but I'm wondering why the confed would leave an immediate battle. Do their targets reset despite being persistent when you jump back in? Are targets selected randomly, and does proximity come into play? I didn't notice any other hostiles in the area, but with starting radar it's not easy to be sure what might have been out there.

Usually when I played I had the perception that confeds usually dealt with what was in front of them. This wouldn't always make sense, but in this particular instance it would have been appreciated :)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 05:22:28 PM by Iltsuger »

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Re: Weird Confed Behavior
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 01:53:09 PM »
I would have to check the code, but my immediate guess is that when information about the ships on the other side of a jump point is saved, no information about their current order is saved. So their targets do reset.

Again, I'm just speculating as I haven't looked at that code in years, but my guess for why their orders aren't saved is that when they're respawned, they will all have different id numbers since other ships will be spawned in that system compared to the last time you were there (only the ships in the immediate vicinity of the jump point are saved). So if a saved ship had id number 10 the last time, it might have id 207 now. So if their orders were saved, the ship they were attacking that had id number X would suddenly be a completely different ship (which, come to think of it, might also be what's going on, but I doubt I would have overlooked that back in the day...).

Iltsuger

• Hidden Asset Alpha Tester
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Weird Confed Behavior
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 05:23:40 PM »
OK, thank you. That makes sense, whether or not it turns out to be the case. I'll be more cautious the next time I try to use jump-avoidance techniques :)

...Why is it that I can't globally disable converting smilies into graphics anymore :P
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 11:19:52 PM by Iltsuger »