Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: Development Video #34  (Read 974 times)

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Development Video #34
« on: February 01, 2016, 07:36:43 PM »

I mostly did bug-fixing in the past two weeks, which isn’t all that interesting for a development video. So I instead show some of the new assets I’ve made. I also touch a bit upon how the 2D isometric rendering functions in Hidden Asset.

Iltsuger

• Hidden Asset Alpha Tester
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Development Video #34
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 12:06:42 PM »
Oh yeah, I remember reading about how one of the biggest things in graphics is all about what is seen first, what is behind what. Made me wish that humans (and displays) just saw in 4+ dimensions to skip all those calculations :)

Buildings for sale can still look neglected, though. Depends on the housing market :)

You're putting a lot of detail into the game. I hope I don't wind up missing the details too much. I might have to play slowly to soak up stuff. I sort of remember doing that in the modern Shadowrun and some of the 3D GTA games, but it helps to know that at least some of the stuff is going to be interactive, so there's a bigger reason to look around. Of course if all one does is look for interactive objects one will go back to ignoring the non-interactive background again, but I guess there are a ton of different ways to experience most games.

Reminds me of looking into text adventures; I was a bit overwhelmed by the idea of trying to consider all the possibilities for potential users. I guess there's the Language of Playing Adventure Games that has slowly become standardized over the decades, and one has to depend upon that as a baseline.

Hope your final stretch to Alpha goes well!

« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 05:22:11 PM by Iltsuger »

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 01:55:40 PM »
Yeah, sometimes I have to stop myself from getting too deep into unnecessary details. But I think details are one of those things you don't appreciate when they're there, but you definitely notice when they're not! :)

Iltsuger

• Hidden Asset Alpha Tester
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 11:07:26 PM »
Yeah, it's a tough balance. But I guess the nice thing about it is that you can always go back and add more frosting once the cake is made.

Sorry, not trying to make everybody hungry.