Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: Development Video #27  (Read 982 times)

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Development Video #27
« on: October 12, 2015, 12:06:04 PM »

The executive office (as well as some additional assets) are now done, so I do a bit of NPC scripting.

Iltsuger

• Hidden Asset Alpha Tester
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Development Video #27
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 04:58:51 PM »
It makes me wonder if others might notice if the server was down after a while... like anybody at a desk would be attuned to what the server was doing in a way, and would start to be alerted over time if you, say, got rid of the poor person whose job it is to re-initialize the server whenever it goes out. Maybe apply other properties to desk jockeys for if the power goes out or whatever else one sets up in the script.

With your setup would the person just start walking back to the server if you switched it off, even if they weren't at their desk yet? I wonder if you could screw up their pathing by continually switching it off every time they've switched it on again.

Cool as always, thanks.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 03:02:09 PM »
The NPC only walks over to the server, if he's sitting at his desk when it is switched off. I do a check in the TRIGGER block that makes sure he's at the tile where his chair is before any of the other stuff happens.

And now I just realized that I should probably have the script check if the server is off when he gets back to his chair. If for example the player switches the server back off as he's walking back to his desk, he should notice that when he gets there. I'll add that.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 03:03:55 PM »
Also, apparently someone posted this video on Reddit. Not really sure that's the kind of Reddit attention I want:

https://www.reddit.com/r/asmr/comments/3owny1/unintentional_danish_game_developer_videoblogs/

???

Iltsuger

• Hidden Asset Alpha Tester
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 08:51:49 AM »
That gave me the best laugh I've had in a while.

All attention is good attention! Well, usually. If you get views on a video, it doesn't really matter WHY some of them are watching... though yeah, it's good to also get people who also care about what you're actually doing :)

...sometimes I love the internet.

And hey, maybe people can watch for both reasons...

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 11:20:42 AM »
Yeah, it's nice getting a bunch of views. I just wasn't expecting people to be watching my videos for that particular reason! ;D