Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: It's been a long time since I posted here, but I still love this game!  (Read 1479 times)

Red Soul

• View Profile
I don't even remember when I posted here last, but I still love this game and started playing a new character a while ago (lost my 800k + save in a hard drive crash).

Last time I went merchant route with the Galaxy - she was and continues to be my favorite ship as she is well rounded and even beautiful to be honest, I like it a lot.

I have now broken through the 1 million credit mark with her and I'm not switching to any other ship:

the Ulysses is like a Drayman spawn and the painful slowness doesn't compensate the extra armor and shields it has, in my opinion.

I won't use the Drayman because I like doing merchant guild missions more than free trading, and the Drayman could never conceivably finish missions in time.

I don't want to move to capships either because in my opinion they only seem to exist as a reason to nerf the Centurion (since the Pegasus basically has with the Centurion always had in the original Priv, minus one gun mount).

So I have a few questions to fellow merchants here:

1) I have pretty much completed the Quine planet database and I couldn't find any planet that exports factory equipment and construction, so where can I find those when required?

2) I'm struggling to find an ideal gun setup for my Galaxy; currently I have frontal Tachyon and rear Ionic Pulse; I realize the generator is limited (it is no Orion) but light guns like Meson don't seem to punch through things well enough, despite the massive rate of fire achieved.

Suggestions?

Iltsuger

• Hidden Asset Alpha Tester
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Good to see a fellow merchant.

I don't know off-hand about who sells what, but if no planets seem to produce those goods then you may have to wait until events cause a surplus, assuming there are events for those goods. I thought one of the major city planets might produce that stuff but maybe not. Would be nice if Ganim took up the slack for under-represented stuff, but maybe the point is to make these things a bit scarce? I dunno.

As far as guns I tend to go with short-range heavies like neutrons, and then fire when things get close. I'm one of those evil people who like to board, though, so I tend to just use neutrons to break through shields so my torps can disable the target.

Also, when dealing with threats I usually immediately cut my shields to half, because that frees up extra energy for the weapons. It does leave me a bit more vulnerable but tends to even out once I have enough upgrades.

Cthulhu

• Ace
    • View Profile
Re: It's been a long time since I posted here, but I still love this game!
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 08:17:06 PM »
Ah, I haven't played in ages. I'm afraid to start anew, since then I will be sucked in again, and loose countless hours working my way up in reputation.

But I did start a game just recently, to remember the old times, and it's a damn fine game. Such brilliant game mechanics.

Wasol

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 06:58:41 PM »
It's a really good game even in its current form. I think if laserbrain studios changes the setting a little to remove the wing commander references, they could go commercial with the game. At least I would pay for it; there's nothing quite like it out there. And I've searched a lot!

Cthulhu

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 07:36:57 PM »
I wonder what it would take to get it on Steam. Seems like that is where people are very eager to press "buy". Especially if the game is cheap.

Iltsuger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 12:11:01 PM »
Might be helpful to make a list of all the things that need to be changed, to make it a pretty straightforward cleanup, whenever it would happen.

Cthulhu

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 12:50:20 PM »
That wouldn't hurt.

Also, I wonder if steam users are open to ascii-art games? Are there any others on steam?

And if being put on steam, I suspect a flood of questions and bug reports, comming CK's way, and that would probably require a lot of time to just deal with all the added attention.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 05:50:48 PM »
There are a few ASCII art games on Steam. I'm not going to sell Ascii Sector on Steam, though. If it ever gets on Steam, it'll be as a free game that just uses Steam integration. Beyond feeling weird suddenly charging money for a game that's been free forever, it would also bring a lot of pressure from people that have purchased it and want me to work more on it. And as long as I'm working on Hidden Asset, there's no way I'd be able to live up to those expectations, and that would turn a lot of people sour.

I'll only charge money for Ascii Sector (or whatever it'll be called then) once it's the graphical and expanded version I'll be working on after Hidden Asset. Kinda like how the version of ADOM that's on sale on Steam is a graphical version of the original ASCII roguelike with some added features and bugfixes.

Cthulhu

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 06:10:20 PM »
it would also bring a lot of pressure from people that have purchased it and want me to work more on it.
I see. So, clearly us freeloaders haven't put enough pressure on you.  ;)

Looking forward to what the future has to bring.

Iltsuger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 11:37:38 AM »
Huh, didn't realize there was a graphical ADOM until you mentioned it just now. Shows you how much I've been paying attention of late.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 12:44:56 PM »
Yeah, Thomas Biskup did a kickstarter campaing (on IndieGoGo, I believe) some time ago for a deluxe version of ADOM, and he just released that version on Steam a few days ago.

Zelvik

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2015, 10:16:00 PM »
Are you still planing on using the Hidden Asset engine to do a new version of ASCII Sector eventually?  ::)

You realy have a little gem there, its rewarding, challenging and immersive game experience.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2015, 10:38:54 PM »
Are you still planing on using the Hidden Asset engine to do a new version of ASCII Sector eventually?

Yes.