Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: Development Video #26  (Read 672 times)

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Development Video #26
« on: September 28, 2015, 12:45:14 PM »

In this video, I start working on the remaining art assets for the second map.

Iltsuger

• Hidden Asset Alpha Tester
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Development Video #26
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 11:09:17 AM »
Was going to ask about the sound effect for walking on rugs, but you already thought of that :)

Would there ever be room for stuff like clue tiles, where walking over it might make a different sound or look slightly different, and be interactive in some way?

Also, would it be more fiddly to, say, have a "on top of desk" sort of tile, that would float various junk on top of any desk with the same relative height?

Cool vid as always, thank you.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 04:11:56 PM »
Currently all interactive objects area clearly marked (highlighted in Tactical Mode and get a green border around them when you hover over them with the mouse cursor). I don't think I'll be adding hidden interactable objects, as I want the challenge to be in figuring out how to use what you have available - not finding it. Basically more a puzzle game than an adventure game, if that distinction makes sense.

I actually have separate "on top of desk" sprites for the standard office desk. They're the once made from lighter wood you can see in some screenshots. The base desk sprite doesn't have anything on it (except for the computer monitor and keyboard), so the stuff on top is in separate sprites and just gets added randomly when I place one of those desks in the editor.

Iltsuger

• Hidden Asset Alpha Tester
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 11:28:36 PM »
Sounds cool.

And yeah, the distinction makes sense, though I never would have made that differentiation in  between searching for clues and having all the components readily available.  For me it's more about the focus of the game, like if there's more of a story and feel to a place, then it's more on the adventure side, if it's something like Gobliiins, even though the bits are sort of hidden, you're there to solve a puzzle more than explore the landscape or pretend it's a simulation... Adventure puzzler? :)