Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: Just being sociable  (Read 3718 times)

Iltsuger

• Hidden Asset Alpha Tester
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Just being sociable
« on: March 07, 2015, 08:09:22 PM »
How is everyone?

I'm going to try the new build of ASCII in a bit. Looking forward to just starting from scratch. I think enough time has passed that it'll all feel a bit new to me. Though I'll probably wind up doing the same cargo-focused setup that I always seemed to do.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 08:17:40 PM by Iltsuger »

GLI

• Ace
    • View Profile
Re: Just being sociable
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 03:15:38 PM »
14th August 2012 is my last save while playing Ascii Sector. Since then I just run it to test some things people were asking about. Over a year I didn't run it at all but when CK asked for test of new version I've just made quick run... and I remembered everything. Maybe I just played it too much... ;)

Well, I'm not planning to play it again (continue or start from scratch). I'll just wait for some next release with more bug fixing and with new improvements. Then It'll be fun to search for new bugs again and to propose new ideas, new improvements... ;D
Genuine Lifelike Individual

Iltsuger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 04:35:37 PM »
So far no bugs that I can see. I even had two delivery missions in the same nav point, and they docked on both sides of my ship. Not sure what would have happened with three at once, though.

Still as compelling as ever, managed to get my X ship pretty early after landing a trade deal that I had to rush back and forth to get enough money to participate in, getting paid more than my net worth up to that point and using it all to trade my nearly un-upgraded tin can.

Also started passive-aggressively scooping up known hostiles and pretending that they might decide not to attack me so I can start using the melee combat stuff... almost got myself killed the second time when a retro repeatedly decided my laser pistol wasn't welcome to our jamboree.

Iltsuger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 12:19:54 AM »
One odd thing was that I was grazed by gunfire on the tip of my hand, but that managed to count as a critical wound with a timer for death. Not sure if that should be technically possible or not.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 11:57:19 AM »
So far no bugs that I can see. I even had two delivery missions in the same nav point, and they docked on both sides of my ship. Not sure what would have happened with three at once, though.

Any ships beyond the two first should just mill about, trying to dock on one of the sides, but then veer off when getting too close to the already docking ships. In theory.

One odd thing was that I was grazed by gunfire on the tip of my hand, but that managed to count as a critical wound with a timer for death. Not sure if that should be technically possible or not.

I think I programmed it so that if you get shot/wounded in an existing wound, that transforms it into a critical wound, so maybe you were already wounded in that spot? Or maybe you were shot by a machine pistol that hit twice in a row in the same spot?

Iltsuger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 11:24:13 PM »
No, I wasn't wounded there already. Was a single knife wound to that end, the other two wounds I got, also by knife, were on the other side of my body. I mean, yeah, you can kinda bleed to death if you lose a finger. I dunno. Might there be a critical damage range that allows for this sort of thing?

After all of this, I *did* recently get an actual in-game, red box error message that the game couldn't find some temp ( as in .tmp) file or another. This was when I was going to save, but didn't quite click directly on the save button, if that had anything to do with it. I did manage to save properly though, and haven't seen that error since.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 12:36:59 PM »
It wasn't a Vibroblade, was it?

Never mind. Knives currently have a damage range of 25-40. The user's strength is a modifier on top of this (random characters have a strength of 40-60, the modifier is the character's strength - 50, so -10 to 10). When a melee attack does >25 damage, there's a 50% chance of leaving a critical wound. So it's working as coded.

I'll try to reproduce that save bug thing. Was this on Linux?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 12:45:55 PM by Christian Knudsen »

Iltsuger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Just being sociable, and stumbling into bugs as always
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 08:29:23 PM »
I noticed that there is a crit for getting a finger chopped off, actually, but this didn't happen as far as I recall. I may have missed it, I'm not one to put full faith in eyewitness accounts even when I'm the eyewitness, though my surprise seemed to stem from it seeming like a minor wound.

Boring old PC, not Linux. I seem to remember not quite hitting the save button dead on, if that helps. Like I activated a zone that wasn't supposed to be there, although with the tiles being so big I'm not sure how that would be possible.

This has probably been mentioned a thousand times, but when a limb goes gray it causes no more damage to the owner to hit there, is that right?

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Re: Just being sociable, and stumbling into bugs as always
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 11:51:28 PM »
Boring old PC, not Linux. I seem to remember not quite hitting the save button dead on, if that helps. Like I activated a zone that wasn't supposed to be there, although with the tiles being so big I'm not sure how that would be possible.

Ah, PC. There was another bug with temp files when compiling a quest on Linux, so I was thinking maybe it was just a Linux thing. Guess not. :-\

This has probably been mentioned a thousand times, but when a limb goes gray it causes no more damage to the owner to hit there, is that right?

Right. There's a check that reduces the damage dealt to zero if the limb is destroyed/gray.

When checking for this, though, I think I may have found the cause for the elusive Critical Wound Bug that has been plaguing the game for years. Players would basically find themselves with invisible critical wounds that couldn't be healed. I believe this may be caused by attacks to destroyed limbs. Even though the damage is reset to zero when checking the limb's status, it will still increase the player's number of critical wounds, but not place an actual wound that you can heal at the AutoDoc. I'll have to run some more tests on this, but it seems promising!

Iltsuger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 11:58:43 PM »
Nice! Glad I could stumble upon a possible solution with my grayed-out limbs :)