Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: Help test the new version of Ascii Sector!  (Read 9641 times)

mrmax

• View Profile
Re: Help test the new version of Ascii Sector!
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2015, 07:29:56 PM »
Ascii Sector and 2015 .. that is incredible!  tyvm Christian!

running 64 bit linux on a notebook with an external upright 9:16 1080:1920 vga.
it properly starts on the gnome-configured as primary vga.
clicking fullscreen works
and the game works fine if i back out of the configuration without clicking apply.
when i click apply i get a window on the laptop screen.
when i click aspect ratio i get a window at the bottom z level on the vga.
whenever i get a window within the display config the [window] [fullscreen] ui selector goes out of sync.

but it works beautifully

with the caveat that the mouse has become finicky, jumpy.
perhaps in proportion to the larger screen?
maybe that can get adjusted down and mapped to a mouse-sensitivity slider.
or something :)

but first of all -- thanks again for taking the plunge and putting out an update to AsciiSector in 2015. really missed it!

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2015, 11:37:57 PM »
Thanks for the feedback! I have a couple of questions on some things I'm not sure I understand:

when i click apply i get a window on the laptop screen.
when i click aspect ratio i get a window at the bottom z level on the vga.

So when you click to apply fullscreen, it's still in a window?
What do you mean by "get a window at bottom z level on the vga"? Can you take a screenshot of this?

with the caveat that the mouse has become finicky, jumpy.
perhaps in proportion to the larger screen?

Yeah, when in fullscreen, the game resolution doesn't necessarily match the desktop resolution (it's a smaller resolution "stretched" out to fill the screen), so that can result in the mouse feeling a bit weird and being in a slightly different position in the game window than on the desktop. I might be able to do some trickery with modifying the mouse movement according to the ratio between the game and desktop resolutions.

mrmax

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2015, 04:57:21 PM »
Hi, thanks for asking, glad i checked in.

So when you click to apply fullscreen, it's still in a window?

no.

the instant i click the fullscreen choice it goes full-screen.
there's no delay at all. it just does it, and it works right.

if i next click apply that is undone and the display becomes windowed again.
in this case the window hops to the screen the system booted from

What do you mean by "get a window at bottom z level on the vga"?

ok, first off, i'm using gnome configured so that i can push windows to the background by middle-clicking the title bar. this keeps me on my toes about where in the stack of usually full-screen windows i have open any particular window is.  .. its like the middle click pulls the top card from a deck of cards and puts it on the bottom.

because of that habit of mine.. and the fact that my main screen is not the one the system booted from,  i noticed that when i clicked 'aspect-ratio',  the window would do what i said.

Can you take a screenshot of this?

i'd need to make a movie and i can't. that's still on my someday/maybe list. can't even make proper grabs from my screens atm. sorry.

I might be able to do some trickery with modifying the mouse movement according to the ratio between the game and desktop resolutions.

that's what i was hoping you'd say!  algebra to the rescue!

mrmax

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2015, 05:34:04 PM »
"With developments on earth in the late 2020's having reduced the formerly proud driving professions, to roles children could understand no better than their grandparents could understand the once pivotal role of horse-related employment, the routine piloting of space-craft was now handled almost entirely by the quine 9500".

which is something that 5-years later me, is terribly annoyed at not having. nor do i feel the need to constantly be questioned when i want to leave my ship or the requirement to confirm that, yes, i truly want to ignore everyone i bump into for the next year or so is helping me.

these things were driving me mad in play-testing.  ... it may just be me, but i aim to trade, upgrade and raid pirate bases over and over for the sheet madness of it. the endgame flying and taking it to the big ships wasn't something i was ever very good at, so not having an auto-jumping auto-landing gizmo available to 5-years-later-me, just feels like a bug.

also, i'm also no longer fond of infinite asteroids. just sayin'. i'm ok with them drifting around and messing up a once cleared zone, but, damn their infinite respawn!  for me, it destroys all sense of accomplishment and investment in a character. of course, ymmv, but i'd rather have mayhem at a station shut down commerce and draw hostile ships to that station.

just wanted to get that off my chest.  other than that, looking forward to getting rich trading and one-day finding places to pay fines/fix karma. without doing a single mission until i get al the ships i want. oh wait.. i can still only have just one ship, right?  no parking an old one somewhere for a fee?  building up a fleet of ships for a murder of crows, err wingmen is also something i think i should be able to do now that there's an advanced auto-pilot module. oh wait..

hey! thanks again for breathing life again into this great game. please move this post as you see fit

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2015, 06:11:56 PM »
the instant i click the fullscreen choice it goes full-screen.
there's no delay at all. it just does it, and it works right.

if i next click apply that is undone and the display becomes windowed again.
in this case the window hops to the screen the system booted from

Ahh, gotcha'. I think the 'apply' button applies a temp fullscreen value instead of the actual value. Should be an easy fix.

ok, first off, i'm using gnome configured so that i can push windows to the background by middle-clicking the title bar. this keeps me on my toes about where in the stack of usually full-screen windows i have open any particular window is.  .. its like the middle click pulls the top card from a deck of cards and puts it on the bottom.

because of that habit of mine.. and the fact that my main screen is not the one the system booted from,  i noticed that when i clicked 'aspect-ratio',  the window would do what i said.

Hmmm. Sounds like an issue with SDL not liking the Gnome config. Not sure there's anything I can do about that -- can't find any functionality for moving a window to the top.

nor do i feel the need to constantly be questioned when i want to leave my ship or the requirement to confirm that, yes, i truly want to ignore everyone i bump into for the next year or so is helping me.

If you hold down 'S' while walking around, you'll switch positions with other characters instead of trying to interact with them. Hardly anyone's figured this out, though, so poor design on my part.

Iltsuger

• Hidden Asset Alpha Tester
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2015, 04:13:27 PM »
I'd mentioned before, I think, how passing through might be better as default, since most of the people you actually want to talk to, at least early on, are sitting in seats and so you wind up talking to them anyway instead of walking through them. Or a toggle that defaults to "off", so people who don't need to interact with anyone don't need to worry about it.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2015, 08:35:16 PM »
Or a toggle that defaults to "off", so people who don't need to interact with anyone don't need to worry about it.

Yup. This is probably be the best solution. You only talk to people that either:

1) are mission related
2) are ship dealer, shop owners, bartenders and such
3) or sitting on a chair (since switching position with those is odd)

Mardigann

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2015, 12:49:38 PM »
hello, tested with 2 linux versions:

linux mint xfce 32 bits: after installing all dependencies, the program renders the game window, but completely empty. just the frame.

mint mate, 64 bits: Everything seems fine, but... after every jump animation, a red window appears warning that:

Error: asciisec.tmp
File not found.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2015, 08:59:17 PM »
Thanks for the feedback! This seems related to an issue with file/folder paths on Linux. It should be fixed in the final release of the new version.

azmond

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2015, 01:20:30 AM »
God GODS i've missed this game! This is fanstastic news to me~! heheheeeee~!

Got another Linux tester right here chris! :)
I'll update my post as things progress.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 01:31:37 AM by azmond »

toupz

• Experienced
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2015, 05:29:04 PM »
Greetings from Toupz, works well on Windows 7 :) Is there any chance we'll get the capital planet where to pay off fines? Sorry if i'm in the wrong thread too...
Ascii sector ownz

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2015, 01:23:07 PM »
I'll try to squeeze it in at some point. :)

toupz

• Experienced
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2015, 01:43:25 PM »
I'll try to squeeze it in at some point. :)
OMG NICE :D Ps does anyone know a good trading route i'm having a hard time getting started again ;o. The missions i do i always get blown up in my tarsus.... so i must trade ahah
Ascii sector ownz

GLI

• Hidden Asset Alpha Tester
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2015, 09:27:32 PM »
does anyone know a good trading route i'm having a hard time getting started again ;o. The missions i do i always get blown up in my tarsus.... so i must trade ahah

Some post from past:
http://www.laserbrainstudios.com/forum/index.php?topic=845.msg3640#msg3640

;)

To stay on topic... How's Mac testing, CK? Any volunteers?
Genuine Lifelike Individual

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2015, 11:03:02 AM »
I've gotten a bit more feedback. I just need to fix the issues now. :)