Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: Asciisector.net down - don't know when it'll be up  (Read 1845 times)

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Asciisector.net down - don't know when it'll be up
« on: December 29, 2014, 04:38:19 PM »
So asciisector.net is down because I didn't pay for renewal of the domain. But I can't find any emails from my hosting provider with an invoice for the next year - and there isn't any invoice for this in my 'Invoice administration' in my control panel provided by the host. So I'm suspecting that they just didn't send one.

Furthermore, the initial reply I've gotten from support is that they charge USD 209 to restore the domain, which is absurd since they charge USD 33 for registering a .net domain for one year and the same amount for transfering a domain to their servers. Why they're charging triple that just to restore a domain is beyond me. I've asked them, but haven't heard back yet.

The bottom line is that there's no way I'm paying their extortion fee, so if they insist on that, it could take a while before asciisector.net is back up, since I'll just have to let it expire completely and then rebuy it.

>:(

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Re: Asciisector.net down - don't know when it'll be up
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 09:04:37 PM »
I've set up a temporary Ascii Sector page here:

http://laserbrainstudios.com/ascii-sector/

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 03:45:27 PM »
My hosting provider just "discovered" that the domain wasn't deleted anyway quite yet, so they could reopen it for the original price of $33 and have now sent me an invoice for that amount. The site should hopefully be up again soon.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 04:02:55 PM »
So now I'm considering having asciisector.net just redirect to the Ascii Sector page I've made here on the laserbrainstudios.com site, since the discussion forum is already here and asciisector.net is pretty much just used for downloading the game. Any thoughts on this?

GLI

• Hidden Asset Alpha Tester
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 07:58:16 PM »
So now I'm considering having asciisector.net just redirect to the Ascii Sector page I've made here [...]. Any thoughts on this?

;)
Genuine Lifelike Individual