Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: Automating character sprite creation  (Read 7066 times)

Serge

Re: Automating character sprite creation
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2014, 07:55:55 PM »
I'm doing this in my spare time. I try to squeeze in at least 1-2 hours a day, but it varies.

That's pretty good, you can make more progress if you can use the workdays. My job sometimes drains the life out of me haha. That just leaves the free weekends and holidays to get something done.

Those screenshots look great! At least as good (if not better) than stuff like Spiderweb Software's RPGs.

Thanks a lot! Sometimes I'm having a hardtime seeing if something is good enough for the final build or not. One can stare blind on the thing he's working on.
What you're looking at is 3 years of work, an engine rewritten twice, a bit of featurecreep, and it's also my first serious/larger project so many things aren't really working as well as I would like.

I'm not really all that familiar with Allegro, but doesn't it offer bindings for plain OpenGL calls? Then smooth lighting should definitely be doable.

I think you're right on that one. I usually don't go beyond the stuff that Allegro has to offer because there is so much still to be done. But smooth lighting is worth investing some time in, I think :) I mean, what you've done with Hidden Asset and what SmartK8 did looks really good and gives the game more atmosphere I think. Atmosphere is one of the most important things of games like this in my opinion.

I agree with Christian that it looks amazing. Kinda reminds me of Diablo 1 style (probably because of the bars and columns).

Thanks! Diablo 1 was definitely a source of inspiration. I like it so much more than Diablo III. The atmosphere was great.

Why did you canceled it or do you plan to revive it now? Even though I already may guess that it is because of lack of spare time. ;D But it might have been something else. I was always worried (and I still am) that I won't be fast enough (being a one developer) to make it into a game before the technology (and tools) will become obsolete. But today with all the retro games and emulators and Steam and stuff I'm fairly convinced I can make a retro game of the future today.  ;D

I canceled it because in the end it felt like I made no progress with the many hours that I spend on it. I didn't organise it well in the beginning and just started making the engine and editor to work. To many times things had to be redone because old functions weren't compatible with what I wanted to add next.
You know, I never knew how much content an average RPG has until I was halfway the project.
I'm not sure if I'll ever contiue with this PRG, but I might use the graphics again sometime.

I totally share your fear. I was still working with Allegro 4, which is old and uses direct drawing if I'm correct. And Allegro 5 came along the way.

Is there a playable piece of game (combat or quests) or is it an early stage of development?

There is a testversion ready to run but I'm not sure I can call it playable. You can move the character through the level, pickup items and talk or fight with some npc's, but the bugs make it hard to enjoy it (errorlog pops up a lot, I quit in the middle of something). There is no storyline, all the levels were for testing gamefunctions. But you're welcome to take a look :)