Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: Hidden Asset development log  (Read 6575 times)

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Hidden Asset development log
« on: June 26, 2014, 11:25:49 AM »
Figured I'd make a thread for smaller updates that don't really warrant a front page blog post. Like this:

Party time!

Currently working on the night club on the floor above the restaurant. Your first assassination target is throwing a private party there to celebrate his birthday. Guess it'll be his last.

GLI

• Hidden Asset Alpha Tester
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Re: Hidden Asset development log
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 08:20:43 PM »
IMHO there should be some kind of link to this topic. Link on main page because nobody enters here so far... :o
Genuine Lifelike Individual

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 11:15:07 PM »
There might be a Wordpress plug-in that shows the last couple of forum posts on the main page. I'll look around for that. But I'm also posting these short updates on Twitter and two other forums, so hopefully people will see them there. :)

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 01:31:13 PM »
The 5 latest forum posts are now shown in the sidebar on non-forum pages.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 05:26:45 PM by Christian Knudsen »

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 12:51:38 PM »
Working on this game sometimes weirds me the fuck out:

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 11:35:10 AM »
Hidden Asset now has an Indie DB page! http://www.indiedb.com/games/hidden-asset

« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 11:40:49 AM by Christian Knudsen »

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 06:10:50 PM »
Time to get a new computer... :(

GLI

• Hidden Asset Alpha Tester
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 08:57:30 PM »
Time to get a new computer... :(

Well, yes. It hurts.

My old Asus F3Sv with GF8600M had similar problem too. Replacing old GPU with new original one was possible (c.a. 150 EUR). Probably in Denmark it will be a little bit more expensive... ;)

BTW Nvida knew that GPU series was defective and Asus knew the've sold notebooks with defective GPU but they didn't informed about this and waited for malfunction. Some people were lucky and others (like me, long after 2 years warranty) were forced to pay... >:(
Genuine Lifelike Individual

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 09:17:30 PM »
Yeah, seems like exactly the same thing. Early versions of the Lenovo T61 were apparently also sold with defective Nvidia GPUs. The upside is that I got this one really cheap. My wife's workplace were upgrading their computers, so I bought it for only about $80. I've had it lying around for about a year, then finally bought and installed a Windows 7 license for about $100 and transferred over everything from my old laptop a couple of months ago. Didn't last long. :(

I don't think it's worth it to try and get the GPU replaced, so I'm just looking at getting a brand new computer. I'm currently looking at a Lenovo IdeaPad G50-70 with an Intel i3 Dual Core and 4 gigs of RAM for about $500. It comes with Windows 8.1, though, so I'm hoping I can just install my Windows 7 license on the new computer without too many problems. I could probably just slip in my harddrive from the bricked computer, but that one is only 100 gigs and the new one comes with 500.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 01:21:12 PM »
Screenshot for #screenshotsaturday:

Also, my new dev computer should arrive this Monday. Looking forward to working on a computer that doesn't constantly get bogged down! I ended up getting a Lenovo E540, if anybody was wondering. I hate chicklet keyboards, but the Lenovo ones should be the best there is, so I hope I can get used to it.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2014, 11:07:53 AM »
Screenshot for #screenshotsaturday:

New overworld map for Hidden Asset. I realized that having everything take place in a single city just didn't make sense. As you get new missions, more locations to travel to will appear on the map.

NoobKid

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2014, 01:03:12 PM »
Very sorry for posting off-topic, but did you (or could you) release the source code for ASCII sector? I thought posting here would get your attention better. If you're not the kind of guy who lets people mess around with his old projects, then alright. I just love ASCII sector.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2014, 01:36:25 PM »

In Hidden Asset, mission locations are tranformed into crime scenes when you've completed the assassination job, so you can always return to stealthily retrieve any gear you had to leave behind.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2014, 06:48:52 PM »
I'm currently stress testing the AI pathfinding -- specifically in order to make sure that when a large group of NPCs are all walking near each other, they don't end up blocking each others' paths and growing into one big mess of blocked NPCs. So far, some relatively simple rules seem to be doing the trick:

As an aside, this looks kinda psychedelic in Tactical View with all the NPCs' field of view cones overlapping:

The only issue I've run into is that sometimes NPCs freeze up after having gotten out of another NPCs way. Their order and pathfinding seems to be fine, but they just end up standing all alone in the street doing nothing. I'll have to figure out what's causing that. They're probably just depressed.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2014, 12:44:10 PM »
Screenshot for #screenshotsaturday. Nice parking, Officer!