Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: Stoping piracy?  (Read 1809 times)

Cthulhu

• Ace
    • View Profile
Stoping piracy?
« on: March 21, 2013, 12:36:51 PM »

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Re: Stoping piracy?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 10:20:00 PM »
All I can say is there definitely won't be any DRM in Hostile Takeover (unless if it manages to get on Steam!). And that's not because of some ideological reasons - it just wouldn't make sense from a business perspective. There's no way to prove that having DRM would result in more sales, but adding DRM would without a doubt require considerable resources.

I generally don't have anything against DRM if it doesn't get in my way of enjoying a game. The problem is that the DRM schemes being implemented by some of the bigger studios are getting in the way of that. SimCity being the latest example where people weren't even able to play the game! That's ridiculous.

Offhand, I can only really think of two types of DRM that are successful. One being Steam, because it actually offers a valuable service to the point where most people don't even think of it as DRM. And the other would be cloud gaming services like Onlive and Gaikai. The latter is pretty much the ultimate form of DRM from a developer/publisher perspective - seeing as players never really get their hands on the actual games, there's really no way of pirating them.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Re: Stoping piracy?
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 11:14:05 AM »
"Can I research DRM or something?" Priceless. ;D