Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: Release: v0.2 (and Development Video #22)  (Read 7562 times)

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Release: v0.2 (and Development Video #22)
« on: March 13, 2013, 01:53:00 PM »

Here’s the latest version and a video demonstrating what’s new gameplay-wise:

Hostile Takeover Demo v0.2 for Windows (22 MB)

Hostile Takeover Demo v0.2 for Linux 32-bit (21.5 MB)

Hostile Takeover Demo v0.2 for Linux 64-bit (21.5 MB)

Watch it in HD!

Changes:

- Fixed bug when changing movement type while shooting/aiming.

- Fixed bug that would make the player character disappear if movement set to sneak as the very first thing after game load/start.

- Fixed minor issue with double-clicking to run.

- Added melee combat.

- Added two additonal test maps (and a variation of the Hensley International map for when the assassination job has been completed).

- Added overworld map that’s accessed when walking to the edge of a map.

- Added ‘Restart this location’ functionality.

- Redid the entire save game system to save information about multiple maps.

- The game now asks for confirmation before overwriting an existing savegame.

VFP82

• View Profile
Re: Release: v0.2 (and Development Video #22)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 05:03:30 AM »
Oh I'm all over this CK...

thenewguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 08:56:30 PM »
I can't seem to get the hand of melee combat. I've given it five attempts and keep getting killed right away. I've watched the tutorial, but can't seem to make it work. It always ends up with my character standing there unable to move while the AI using him as a punching bag.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 09:17:23 PM »
Try to wait for him to attack, then block the attack. Don't hold down the mouse button to block for too long, or you'll start building up fatigue. Just time your block with his attack. When you've blocked his attack, give him one or two quick punches right away, as he'll be fatigued and unable to block for a brief moment.

Let me know if this helps. :)

EDIT: Oh, I've added an extra frame in my dev build that shows a character with guards lowered when he has fatigue and therefor open for an attack. That might make it easier to figure out. If not, I'll just have to rethink the system. So if anybody else also has some feedback on the melee system, I'm very interested in hearing it!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 09:19:43 PM by Christian Knudsen »

thenewguy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 07:18:56 PM »
I think my problem is I can't seem to make my character block more than once. If the AI begins a punch I can block the first attack, but if I then release the mouse and right-click on the enemy my character just stands there. If I try to block a new attack before all my fatigue is gone then my character just stands there and takes the hit. It seems I can only block or attack if I have zero fatigue? Is that right?

Would it be possible to add a fatigue meter for the AI opponent? It might help knowing how fatigued and hurt the AI is during the fight.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 09:11:37 PM »
That's right, you can only block or attack when you have zero fatigue. That's why you have to time your block to his attack, so you don't build up fatigue (or only very little). So don't start blocking until you actually see him pull back his arm for an attack (and for the easiest opponents, you still have a second or two before he actually punches). Then stop blocking as soon as you've blocked his attack.

The extra frame of animation I've added in my dev build shows when a character is fatigued, so hopefully that should help. He'll be standing with his guard lowered like this:

EDIT: I'm now considering having two 'fatigued' frames. One with arms completely lowered, and one with arms halfway raised to indicate that the character is close to having zero fatigue and might be able to block your attack soon. So the character's stance will work like a fatigue meter. I think I'll just do the one frame for the next version, though, and if that's not enough, I'll add the second.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 09:17:19 PM by Christian Knudsen »

thenewguy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 05:42:02 PM »
I like that idea, showing when the AI is fatigued is a good plan.

Following your advice I did manage to win a fist fight against the first guard in the demo. It took me a while to get into the proper pattern, but I've got the general idea now. My only lingering problem is getting my character to punch vs getting him to block. Having the right mouse button do both someone yields the opposite action I was intending. Would it be possible to assign one mouse button to block and the other to attack? Or assign keyboard short-cuts where one blocks and the other punches?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 05:46:04 PM by thenewguy »

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 07:49:48 PM »
I kinda want to only use the right mouse button for consistency's sake (i.e. all other interactions use the right mouse button, and shooting also uses the click or keep pressed design).

So the problem is that you sometimes block when you want to punch? Or also vice-versa?

thenewguy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 03:41:09 PM »
Yes, that is right. Sometimes I block when I want to punch, or punch when I want to block. Usually I end up blocking when I intended to punch. Perhaps I'm just clumsy.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 05:54:24 PM »
I think I'll extend the time before the game registers the mouse button as 'pressed down' instead of 'clicked'. That should make it less likely for a punch to register as a block. I think I'll also extend the time you can block before you start building up melee fatigue, so that you won't be too afraid of blocking for too long and releasing the mouse button too early and having it register as a punch.

thenewguy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 08:20:25 PM »
That sounds like a good solution. I'll look forward to trying the next beta.

Tony

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 03:46:56 PM »
This game will be awesome. Cant wait to buy this one. How much will it costs? I like the graphics and the gameplay.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2013, 10:59:15 AM »
Thanks! It's still too early to think about pricing, since I don't even know for sure how long the game will be. :)