Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: Release: v0.1.5 (and Development Video #20)  (Read 2639 times)

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Release: v0.1.5 (and Development Video #20)
« on: February 03, 2013, 01:17:10 PM »

Here’s the latest version and a video demonstrating what’s new gameplay-wise:

Hostile Takeover Demo v0.1.5 for Windows (21.5 MB)

Hostile Takeover Demo v0.1.5 for Linux 32-bit (21 MB)

Hostile Takeover Demo v0.1.5 for Linux 64-bit (21 MB)

Watch it in HD!

Changes:

- Fixed issue with light sources on a tile with a coffee table.

- Fixed minor graphical bug at some wall joints.

- Created the player character’s look and implemented the system for having characters with unique appearances.

- Made the animation and sprites for sneaking.

- Removed the planned separate sneaking movement mode (which was supposed to be more silent, while crouching would just hide you behind cover).

- Removed Combat Mode and just made it so that characters you need to talk to can’t be attacked.

- Added Tactical Mode in place of Combat Mode, which highlights stuff that can be interacted with, shows the restriction level of areas (green, yellow, red) and displays a color-coded field-of-view cone for NPCs (and a white field-of-view circle for the player).

thenewguy

• View Profile
Re: Release: v0.1.5 (and Development Video #20)
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 09:04:55 PM »
I like the new features video. I hope to try the new release this coming weekend and get hands-on experience!

Update: Tried the new demo. Managed to play through the mission without any problems. Not having separate combat/normal modes is a great improvement. The aiming/shooting felt smoother. I like the idea of the tactical mode. I found I didn't use it much, but I think it could be a godo way to show more information to the play without cluttering up the normal view, sort of like how the Batman games have their special vision mode.

Question: The animation felt quite a bit faster/smoother than in the 0.1.4 release. This means less hiding/waiting time, but it also means the player needs to react faster when things happen. Was this by design?

Also, would it be possible to add a control to speed up or slow down time? It would help players jump over the "hiding in the closet" parts of the game and it woud also make setting up tactical shots easier.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 01:44:28 AM by thenewguy »

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Re: Release: v0.1.5 (and Development Video #20)
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 08:17:50 PM »
Yeah, Tactical Mode is pretty much directly inspired by Arkham Asylum/City's Detective Mode. ;D

I don't think I've made any changes that should make animations smoother, so I'm not sure what that's about. Maybe the game just runs better on your system now for some reason?

I currently don't have any plans for game speed controls. If it proves very necessary, I may add it in the future, but for now I can hopefully design the game in a way that it isn't necessary.