Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: Line of sight indicator  (Read 2301 times)

thenewguy

• View Profile
Line of sight indicator
« on: November 03, 2012, 06:29:09 PM »
I have a suggestion for future versions of Hostile Takeover. I think it would be great if there was some way to find whether an area was in the player's line of sight. Sometimes I'm trying to prepare shots so I can shoot a guard as he enters/exits an elevator, or I'm waiting for the CEO to move so I can get him. There doesn't appear to be any way, other than guessing, if an area is within the player's line of sight.

It would be great if the mouse pointer changed colour in combat mode. Perhaps the pointer could turn red or yellow if an area is outside line of sight, but stay green if the player can hit a target in that area? This would make ambushes easier.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Re: Line of sight indicator
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 12:44:22 PM »
I'm probably going to implement some major changes I've been considering a while now in the next version or the version after that. This will remove Combat Mode (instead allowing you to talk to some characters and attack others) and replace it with a Tactical View that will show various stuff on the world map itself, such as color coding of restricted areas and characters' field of view (somewhat inspired by Detective Mode in Arkham Asylum/City). The player's field of view will also be shown, along with line of sight (it's basically a colored light source placed at the character's location, so anything in shadow won't be in line of sight).

That didn't work at all, so I'll probably just go back to my old plan of adding vision/line of sight cones to the minimap at some point.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 07:28:48 PM by Christian Knudsen »

ijozic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 02:15:38 PM »
I'm sure you've thought of making the combat mode in a turn-based way (e.g. similar to how it's done in Fallout), but I'm interested in the arguments against it..

The way it's currently handled is slightly arcadey, kinda like it was in the Cold Zero game (not sure if you've played it - it was pretty OK except for the combat model). The old Deadline was somewhat like this, though the latter was a squad based one (managing multiple players in a non-turn based game was rather impractical so you had to rely on your team's AI).

BTW, how do you get that cross-hair targeting mode? My comments are based on without it as I couldn't figure how to trigger it.

Otherwise, I love the perspective and the graphics and the arcade-adventure potential of this, though, I presume the switch to 4096 colors has caused this slightly dithering look of the graphics (kinda like Win95 games - e.g. Hunter/Hunted)? Also, sometimes I notice a slight performance issue while moving and the screen is scrolling.

BTW, just for the reference, WC: Privateer, UFO and Syndicate would be in my top favorite games of all times; I'd add the Tie Fighter, the first Jagged Alliance and the first System Shock to that list.. (the sequels were much better technically, but the original games made a stronger impression).
I enjoyed that 386 era games the most; I think it was a great balance between the graphics and the gameplay (much better and deeper games than Amiga/Atari and yet still simple enough to allow imagination to kick in). The software 3D era that followed (early pentiums) was terrible and later as the 3D accelerated graphics progressed, the games are becoming more and more tedious for me as little is left to the imagination.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 02:32:03 PM by ijozic »

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 04:42:56 PM »
Welcome to the boards! :D

I'm sure you've thought of making the combat mode in a turn-based way (e.g. similar to how it's done in Fallout), but I'm interested in the arguments against it..

I had originally planned to use the turn-based combat system I used in Ascii Sector, but various factors made me switch to realtime. One being that it's a lot more tense to sneak around and try to avoid getting spotted in realtime. Another that I want the game focused more on stealth than combat - and with realtime combat, there's a bigger risk of everything turning sour if you start shooting wildly, whereas the slower and methodical pace of turn-based combat is what I want the player to experience when NOT in combat and actively trying to avoid it. Lastly, I feel turn-based is better fitted for games where you control a party or squad, since it's easier to control multiple characters when they each get separate turns. But when you're just controlling one character, that's not an issue.

BTW, how do you get that cross-hair targeting mode? My comments are based on without it as I couldn't figure how to trigger it.

When shooting at a character, instead of clicking the mouse button, hold it down. The meter on the cursor will fill up, and when it's full, you get the first-person aiming view.

Otherwise, I love the perspective and the graphics and the arcade-adventure potential of this, though, I presume the switch to 4096 colors has caused this slightly dithering look of the graphics (kinda like Win95 games - e.g. Hunter/Hunted)? Also, sometimes I notice a slight performance issue while moving and the screen is scrolling.

Yup, the dithering is because I've scaled down the graphics from 32 to 16-bit. This was mainly for performance issues, but the dithering also made the graphics look more coherent, I feel - kinda like a filter over everything.

Have you tried turning off smooth lighting? The performance issue may be because the smooth lighting is recalculated for each tile in view when the screen scrolls. Let me know if this helps. :)

ijozic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 11:26:09 AM »
I did, but I didn't notice a big difference in fact.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 11:59:59 AM »
Does turning off the X-ray effect help?