Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: A Tale of two bugs  (Read 1565 times)

thenewguy

• View Profile
A Tale of two bugs
« on: October 13, 2012, 12:12:07 AM »
I ran into a couple of bugs on my last mission. The first one is quite minor. I've found that if a guard is near a wall, when he is shot there is a chance he will fall through the wall. When this happens the game draws him hovering just outside the building.

The second bug is a bit more serious, I've managed to cause a game crash. After shooting the target, I left his office and took the elevator down to the first floor. As soon as the elevator doors opened I turned off power ot the building so that the guards wouldn't be able to use the elevator. As soon as I killed the power the game crashed with the following message:

An unhandled exception occurred at $0000000000636B2F :
EAccessViolation : Access violation
  $0000000000636B2F
  $0000000000518AF0
  $000000000053E8E7
  $000000000047B480

I'm running version 0.1.2 of the game on 64-bit Linux (Ubuntu 12.04). I've shut off power while standing in the elevator before (usually on the top floor) without triggering the bug. So this is a rare event.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Re: A Tale of two bugs
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 01:45:21 PM »
Thanks!

The first issue is just because the code doesn't at all take walls into account when a character falls dead. I'll be adding more dying animations at some point and making the code check for walls and obstructions when deciding where and how the character should fall.

The second was a bit more tricky. I guess I'll have to shut off the elevator a bunch of times to see if I can replicate the crash. If you can replicate it in the debug version, that would be really helpful, though.

EDIT: Oh, and I'd prefer if you used the latest version of the game. Then we can at last rule out that the crash isn't a result of a bug that's already been fixed. ;D
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 01:47:10 PM by Christian Knudsen »

thenewguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 04:19:56 PM »
I tried it a couple of times with the latest version and have not been able to duplicate the bug. Either it is fixed or occurs very rarely.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 09:59:46 PM »
Hmm... Haven't been able to reproduce this yet. I have stumpled upon a different bug with elevators that can completely screw up an NPCs pathfinding, though, but I don't think that one could be responsible for a crash when switching off power. I'll run some more tests. :)

thenewguy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 04:40:55 PM »
I've tried a few times to recreate this bug in the latest version of the game and I have not been able to. I think we can mark it as "closed".