Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: Power lines  (Read 2884 times)

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Power lines
« on: October 10, 2012, 07:38:43 PM »

In the last blog post, I mentioned something I was working on that wasn’t quite ready to show yet. Well, it’s working now, so here it is:

Click to enlarge

I’ve added functionality for showing these power lines when hovering over something that’s connected to something else. Until now, you kinda had to guess or give it a try to figure out what shutting off a fuse box would do, for example, but now it should be a lot easier.

This also means that I can have multiple fuse boxes (or switches or other stuff in the future) that all affect different parts of a building – instead of just a single fuse box that shuts off all power. This really opens up the options for adding various puzzles to a map.

thenewguy

• View Profile
Re: Power lines
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 09:26:23 PM »
I could see this as being a really good component of puzzles. Turn off one fuse box to shut off an alarm, which allows access to another fuse box, which turns off the lights. Maybe the guards won't notice the player sneak by in the dark....

Actually, that brings to mind a question I've been wondering about: Does having the lights turn off affect whether the guards can see the player? It doesn't seem to make much difference in practice, but I wonder if, in theory, the guards are less likely to spot the player if the lights are out?

Cthulhu

• Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 01:15:30 PM »
Cool. Have you played Covert Action?

It has a some of that sneak and stealth stuff in it, and in particular I'm thinking about how you could do some electronics of some sort (never understood how it worked, I just clicked at random) to do a wiretap on the phones or something.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 09:57:37 PM »
Actually, that brings to mind a question I've been wondering about: Does having the lights turn off affect whether the guards can see the player? It doesn't seem to make much difference in practice, but I wonder if, in theory, the guards are less likely to spot the player if the lights are out?

Light does a affect a guard's chance to spot you. Checking the relevant AI code, here's some numbers:

- A patrolling guard will check about 8 times a second if he sees the player.
- At a distance of 5 tiles, a guard will have a 87.5% chance of spotting you every check if you're on a tile with max light.
- At a distance of 5 tiles, a guard will have a 12.5% chance every check if you're on a completely dark tile.
- All of this is only if the guard has line of sight and you're within the guard's field of view (the closer you are to the center of the guard's field of view, the higher the chance of being spotted).

Cool. Have you played Covert Action?

It has a some of that sneak and stealth stuff in it, and in particular I'm thinking about how you could do some electronics of some sort (never understood how it worked, I just clicked at random) to do a wiretap on the phones or something.

I remember watching a Let's Play on it about a year ago (actually, I think I started watching it because Hostile Takeover also reminded someone else of Cover Action ;D). I'm trying to stay away from minigames as much as possible, so there probably won't be any stuff like the wiretapping in Cover Action. For computer hacking, for example, I'd rather have the player need to eavesdrop on NPCs talking or search a desk for a note with the password on it - or using some of your gathered Intel Points to buy the code you need from the game's Information Broker...