Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: Release: v0.1.3.1  (Read 3922 times)

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Release: v0.1.3.1
« on: October 07, 2012, 06:01:07 PM »

Here’s a quick bug-fix release I wanted out, as the next release will probably take a week or two to get out:

- Fixed bug that crashed the game when placing a device.

- Fixed bug with item labels (for picking up stuff from the ground or placed devices) not being positioned correctly if resolution changed.

- Fixed issue with attacking guards constantly opening and closing a door if the target is right on the other side.

Hostile Takeover Pre-Alpha Demo v0.1.3.1 for Windows (19 MB)

Hostile Takeover Pre-Alpha Demo v0.1.3.1 for Linux 32-bit (19 MB)

Hostile Takeover Pre-Alpha Demo v0.1.3.1 for Linux 64-bit (19 MB)

If you’ve previously downloaded v0.1.3, you can just download the new executables and replace the v0.1.3 ones:

Windows (executable only) (3.9 MB)

Linux 32-bit (executable only) (4.1 MB)

Linux 64-bit (executable only) (3.9 MB)

TheBuzzSaw

• View Profile
Re: Release: v0.1.3.1
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 08:05:40 PM »
Like so many other games in the world, yours is not dual monitor friendly in Linux!

Don't fret. The game ran fine, and you're far from the only one who neglects the dual monitor audience. I'm just always curious because are you not developing in dual monitors?

Here is what came up: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2999971/dual-monitors-hostile.png

The thing that makes your game unique is that it ran in a window anyway. Most Linux games I mess with try to convert my two screens into a single fullscreen display buffer. Then it looks really dumb.

I know SDL is not friendly towards resizing unless the content is exclusively 2D SDL surface blitting. With OpenGL, you basically lose your context every time. Think you could add a few preset window sizes in the options?

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 02:38:01 PM »
Ugh, that logo is way too big. ;D

I don't use dual monitors for developing. Do you actually play games on dual monitors? Isn't the split down the middle annoying?

You can set whatever window size you want in the options - just click on the current dimensions and type in something else.

TheBuzzSaw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 04:18:37 PM »
Ugh, that logo is way too big. ;D

I don't use dual monitors for developing. Do you actually play games on dual monitors? Isn't the split down the middle annoying?

You can set whatever window size you want in the options - just click on the current dimensions and type in something else.

Yes, I play games on dual monitors but not in the way you are thinking. I keep the game in my left monitor exclusively, and I keep my right monitor clear for any of the following: Skype, Pidgin, Chrome, etc.

And OK. I had no idea the size could be specified manually. I didn't look at it hard enough. I'll take a look at that when I get a chance tonight.

Yeah, I don't know of an ideal way to detect the presence of dual monitors. There is likely a trick specific to Xlib for detecting multiple displays. For SDL itself, the only luck I've had is to check the display size ratio and see if it is logical. Most games try to take both my 1080p screens using 3840x1080.

For what it's worth, the game functioned just fine in that huge window. The problem was that I probably saw too much of the map at once.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 04:22:01 PM by TheBuzzSaw »

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 04:48:40 PM »
Heh, I completely misread your post. :o

I thought you wanted the game to take over both monitors as one big screen. But the problem is that the game reads your dual monitors as one big screen instead of just sizing the window to fit the master screen. Yeah, I'm completely at the whim of SDL with that.

TheBuzzSaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 05:21:44 PM »
Allegedly, SDL 2.0 allows for friendly window resizing. I haven't tested it out yet. Anyway, yeah, as long as I can control the size of the window, I should be fine. Fullscreen is for chumps. 8D