Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: Guards shoot through walls  (Read 1340 times)

thenewguy

• View Profile
Guards shoot through walls
« on: October 05, 2012, 03:14:55 PM »
I've encountered guard behaviour I find strange and I'm not sure if it is a bug or intended behaviour. When I'm on the forth floor I find the guards (at least the ones dressed in black) appear to be able to detect the player through the walls even if the player is unmoving. The guard will then shoot at the player through the wall, rather than opening the door and attacking the player face to face. For some reason this only seems to happen on the forth floor.

Steps to reproduce this behaviour:
1. Take the elevator up to the forth floor.
2. Sneak into an empty office. Make sur ethe guards do not react.
3. Remain kneeling and unmoving just inside the door to the empty office. Wait for a guard to walk by.
4. The guard will stop by the wall, just on the other side of the wall from the player. The guard then turns and shoots through the wall at the player. The AI is able to shoot the player, but the player cannot return fire as he does not have line of sight.

I have tried this multiple times on the forth floor and it always results in the AI shooting me through the wall. Attempting the same thing on the second and third floor I have found the guards do not appear to be able to detect me through a wall, unless I am walking. Nor do the guards attempt to shoot through the walls of the second or third floors.

Is this behaviour by design to make the forth floor (where the CEO is) more difficult? Or is this an AI bug?

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Re: Guards shoot through walls
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 03:19:14 PM »
Hmm. It could be that they spot you through the windows, but when they're in a position to fire at you, there's no longer line of sight. Weird that you can't shoot back at them, though, and that they keep shooting (the AI should be checking for line of sight when firing). I'll do some testing.