Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: Release: v0.1.2 and Linux  (Read 3294 times)

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Release: v0.1.2 and Linux
« on: September 29, 2012, 05:41:08 PM »

Here’s a new version with a couple of fixes – and native Linux compiles.

- Fixed issue with rendering of character shadows that would potentially crash the game.

– Fixed bug that allowed you to access objects through walls.

– You can now also scroll the map with W, A, S, D.

Hostile Takeover Pre-Alpha Demo v0.1.2 for Windows (19 MB)

Hostile Takeover Pre-Alpha Demo v0.1.2 for Linux 32-bit (19 MB)

Hostile Takeover Pre-Alpha Demo v0.1.2 for Linux 64-bit (19 MB)

A2Creativity

• View Profile
Re: Release: v0.1.2 and Linux
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 07:26:29 PM »
Hello, i really like this game, i've been keeping eye on this game since v 0.1.1. just a lil' question.. if this released the 1.0 version will it be free ? and please sign me up for beta testing :)

Lexus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://abandonedbutnotforgotten.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 11:46:05 PM »
Alright, instead of making 14 posts, I'll just make one or two long lists of thoughts/bugs:

• It would be helpful if doubleclicking objects in drawers would move them to your inventory, unless this is a deliberate design decision.
  • Combat needs some MAJOR improvement, I'd say this is the weakest part of the game now. If you don't aimed shot EVERYTIME, you will get promptly murdered by ANY guard, even if you sneak up on them.
  • Melee or syringes (hitman style) would vastly improve the stealth aspect.
  • A way to look at the same floor, but in a different building, instead of seeing the roof.
  • Maybe a proper alert/alarm status in addition to the suspicion meter?
  • I got an app hang while shooting Hensley through a door, no error message, just a crash, with the music still playing. I had to end the process. :\

A2Creativity

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 03:57:26 AM »
i maybe agree with you, not only that, if i clicking door, it should SELECT the door, instead clicking ground behind the door.. it's kinda annoying if i clicking the door near the corner the player goes outside to the ground behind the door...

and one more thing.. please make < and > to rotate the screen, that would be prefable...
that's all... and sorry for my bad english  :-X
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 03:59:51 AM by A2Creativity »

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 02:50:59 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, guys! I've got a couple of ideas on improving the shooting that I'm gonna play around with. And that game freeze sounds like an infinite loop - probably in the AI code somewhere. I'll go hunting for it.

thenewguy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 01:44:38 AM »
I posted this on the Ubuntu forums, but this seemed a better place for feedback...

I ran the game both in windowed mode and full screen on Ubuntu 12.04 (64-bit). Sound worked really well, the graphics were good, even on my old Intel integrated card. No serious bugs or problems to report.

Tried out the demo mission and I like the basic concept. Once I got used to the difference between "normal" mode and "attack" mode and figured out how to equip items (I'm slow sometimes) things went fairly well. I like that if I simply walked in with guns drawn people would raise the alarm and I'd get my behind handed to me. Setting off false alarms and sneaking around got me a lot further and I like that the game encourages the player to think around things, rather than just push through.

I have a few suggestions for the next release. One would be to take a different approach to combat. Often times I'd be right beside or behind a guard and try to take aim. Either nothing would happen or my character would shoot wildly (and without apparent effect) at the guards. The few times I did manage to get into aiming mode before the enemy shot me (and broke my aim) I usually got shot before I could do any damage. My only other suggestion would be to have the player's character walk to items out of reach. Sometimes I'd right-click on an item just a few feet away and see the message indicating it was out of reach. It would be handy if items close by and in a straight line from the player's character would cause the character to walk up to the item.

Update: It would be nice if the player could shoot through windows, especially with the sniper rifle. At one point I thought I'd get smart, fought my way through a (lightly guarded) neighbouring building, got up to the forth floor and I could look across the street into the target's office. Sadly, I couldn't find any way to target people outside the room I was in. People in the office across the street and people in the parking lot below me couldn't be targeted. I guess my approach was a little too far "outside the box".

Question: After the target is shot, is there anything else to be done? I finally (after dying many times) managed to kill my target and returned to my contact in the parking lot. Nothing happens, so I'm wondering if the mission has an "end"?

Again, great concept, really nice features. I think if combat is made a bit smoother, it would be just about perfect. I'm recommending friends give it a test run.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 12:37:57 PM »
Thanks for the feedback - both here and at the Ubuntu forums! You can shoot the guy from the other building, but you have to get him to move up to the window somehow... It requires some knowledge that will probably be demonstrated through tutorials in the finished game, though, so it's a bit obscure in this test map. You can't currently shoot at characters on another level, though, which is why you couldn't target the people running around outside.

About what to to after killing the target: You have to leave the map by going to the edge of it. Keep an eye on the green '?'. It should've been flashing after you killed the target (it also flashes at other points, giving you hints on how to play).

thenewguy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 02:51:38 PM »
Thank you for the reply. Now I'm going to have to go back and play again to see if I can get the CEO over to the window. :)

Saw your blog post on upcoming features and improvements. Really looking forward to seeing the melee combat feature, especially if there is a method/weapon which would allow the player to kill quietly at close range.

Update: I still haven't managed to get the CEO to come to the window, but I did confirm I can shoot targets on the same level if they hold still long enough. And I confirmed that I can exit the area to get a score/bonus after completing the mission. (Granted, I still suck as this, so my bonus was $0.)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 08:47:33 PM by thenewguy »