Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: Development video sneak peek  (Read 2132 times)

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Development video sneak peek
« on: January 25, 2012, 02:20:04 PM »

I hope to have a new development video to show soon. I just need to finish work on elevators and some optimizations with the x-ray effect. In the meantime, here’s a screenshot showing the current state of Hostile Takeover:

Click to enlarge

Lexus

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 02:26:28 PM »

I know this is a little off-topic, but will there be an option to rotate the cameras angle/position?

Also as a dabbling programmer, is it any harder to make an isometric game, than it is to make a top down tile game? Not just the graphic work (modeling, shadows) but do you have to write a lot more code?

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 02:26:29 PM »

Yep, you can view the map from 4 different angles. You can see the map rotation being used in some of the development videos.

And, yes, it’s a lot more work making an isometric engine than a top-down engine. With an isometric engine, because you have a pseudo 3D environment, all the sprites have to be drawn in a very specific order, or objects that are supposed to be behind other objects will clip through them. One of the things I’m working on with elevator is making sure they don’t clip through walls when I start moving them up or down. The elevator sprite currently consists of 11 subsprites that are drawn in a specific order, and when the elevator is moving between floors, a lot of these sprites will have to be drawn twice: The bottom part of the sprite is drawn when drawing the lower floor (i.e. the floor the elevator is moving from when moving up), and the top part when drawing the upper floor (the floor the elevator is currently moving up to).

Lexus

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 02:26:29 PM »

Ah. Ill stick to a standard top down dungeon crawler for my first large game.

Thank for the info.