Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: Z-layering  (Read 3495 times)

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Z-layering
« on: January 25, 2012, 02:20:04 PM »

The world of Hostile Takeover has been pretty flat for a while. There’s been no z-layer, meaning that everything has been on the same level. That’s changed now. In the below images, you can see a building that’s currently 2 stories high (it’ll probably be 4 stories when done, but there’s really no limit to how many z-layers I can add). When you enter such a building, none of the layers above will be drawn, giving you an unhindered view of the level you’re on.

Click to enlarge   Click to enlarge

I’ve also added doors that automatically open and close when you need to pass through them, as well as windows. I’m currently working on adding elevators to transport you between the levels of a building (I really don’t want to make an animation for walking up/down stairs — at least not yet). You can already see the elevator doors on the first level of the building.

One final thing I’ve been working on is the map editor. It runs completely in the game engine, so I just press ‘D’ (for ‘developer mode’) when playing to move walls and stuff around. I’ll probably include the map editor with the game to allow players to make their own maps. Along with the scripting language, this will let players create missions for the game, so there will probably be two modes: the campaign with the full story and individual player made missions.

The map editor is still a bit buggy. It works fine for my own purposes as I’m aware of its limitations (such as placement of walls and stuff only working as intended when the map isn’t rotated), but I need to clean it up a bit before it can be used by other people. Look for it in the next development video, which I’ll probably make when I’ve got elevators working.

GLI

Z-layering
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 02:26:26 PM »

Looks better with every new picture, nice.

Some notice. Real building can’t be so “empty” inside because they’ll collapse. There must be some pillars if second floor will have office space too. Pillar could be used during combat as a hide/cover.

BTW Action place looks like some Texas town. Everybody walks with guns and nobody cares… ;-)

Lexus

Z-layering
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 02:26:26 PM »

Great! Looking better & better. My birthdays tomorrow, so how bout a demo as a present?

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Z-layering
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 02:26:26 PM »

Yeah, there will probably be pillars and stuff. The building in the screenshots isn’t the finished design, it’s mostly just for testing the z-layering.

The big hats probably add to the Texan town feel! :D

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Z-layering
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 02:26:26 PM »

Happy Birthday! I wish I could release a demo today, but there’s still a lot of stuff that needs to be added/completed/optimized. I also don’t want to release a demo before there’s some actual gameplay, which will for example require NPCs being able to shoot back at you.

AngryFan

Z-layering
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 02:26:27 PM »

I just wanna say my “BOO!” to the developer who abandons his project without public notice. I’m talking about Ascii Sector.

No major updates for over a year! Judging from development updates, in 2011 the game received only minor attention (mostly bug-fixes). And that is, when only 2 updates left for a feature-complete version. You are losing customers for your future commercial games. :P

GLI

Z-layering
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 02:26:27 PM »

“Patience, padawan. Patience.”

http://www.asciisector.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1775 ;-)

IMHO next update will give us a lot of bug fixes and maybe five new systems with ability to paying of fines:

http://www.asciisector.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1398 ^_^

chego

Z-layering
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 05:37:26 AM »

hi!!!