Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: Development Video #13  (Read 2314 times)

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Development Video #13
« on: January 25, 2012, 02:20:03 PM »

I wanted to post this three days ago, but my webhost’s servers got knocked out following massive downpour here in Copenhagen (two months’ worth of rain in two hours!), so the website’s been down for three days. Now it’s back up, however, so here’s a new development video for Hostile Takeover

Watch it in HD!

New stuff in this video:

• Left-clicking on an NPC will make the player follow him/her

• When doing an aimed shot, the more the target is in shadow, the harder he/she will be to see and the more the crosshairs will shake

• Added button that toggles Combat Mode on/off

• When in Combat Mode, right-clicking will do an attack (fire a weapon if the target is far away or do a melee attack if the target is on an adjacent tile)

• When Combat Mode is off, right-clicking does the default action for whatever you clicked on (talk to a character, open/close a door, search through a drawer, and so on…)

• Started adding scripting support, which means that dialogues are now working

• Added the interface for character dialogue

I think I’ll start working a bit more on environments now. I’ll probably start by adding functionality for doors, windows and line-of-sight. I may also do some of the environment art/objects that I know I’ll need for the game’s first mission — I’m getting a bit tired of looking at the crappy temp stuff.

In the video, you’ll probably notice that the sprite for the character I’m talking to (your contact for the first mission) doesn’t really match his portrait. So I’ll either make full unique sprites for him at some point, or just add his clothing sprites to the default pool of character sprites. I do plan to have unique character sprites for some main characters anyway, though, so they don’t all have the same age and body type as the default sprites.

ahoodedfigure

Development Video #13
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 02:26:24 PM »

Will targets be obscured or will their to-hit percentage (weapon shake) decrease in the targeting mode?

I assume you’ll eventually include an animation for them firing at you (or others) while you’re trying to hit them :)

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Development Video #13
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 02:26:24 PM »

The game will check for line-of-sight, so the aiming screen will probably just change to a “target obscured” message, when there’s no line-of-sight.

Yep, there’ll be an aiming/firing animation for the target in aiming mode as well. I just haven’t implemented proper AI yet, so NPCs can’t aim or fire weapons yet.

cthulhu

Development Video #13
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 02:26:24 PM »

Wow, haven’t been here in a while, I’m really impressed by this.

I recognize some of the ideas from asciisector, such as aiming i difficult, and the combat mod on/off. Have you been able to just copy-paste from the asciisctor code for these functions?

Anyway, it looks very cool.

keep up the good work!

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Development Video #13
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 02:26:25 PM »

Thanks!

For the combat stuff, only the random shaking of the crosshairs is copy-pasted from Ascii Sector (with some minor changes). The only big thing I’ve been able to use from AS so far is the dialogue and scripting stuff (which is why already selected reply options for quest dialogues will also be faded out in the next version of AS, just like they are in this video).

It’ll mostly be all the internal game logic, such as AI and scripting, that I’ll be able to use from Ascii Sector. I’m still working on getting the basic game engine functionality in place before I can really start bringing over stuff from AS. I also want to improve the character AI in Ascii Sector for more challenging ground combat before I use it in Hostile Takeover.