Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: Development Video #9  (Read 1779 times)

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Development Video #9
« on: January 25, 2012, 02:20:02 PM »

Here’s a new development video with the latest additions to the Hostile Takeover engine. This’ll most likely be the last blog post of 2010. See you all in 2011!

Watch it in HD!

• Characters can now carry items (only weapons for now).

• The player’s items in the left and right hand are displayed as icons in  the top left and right corners of the screen, and the “active” item can  be selected by clicking these icons. Right clicking with the mouse will  use the currently selected item, so to fire a weapon, you will select it  as your active item and right click on the character to shoot at.

• Dynamic and colored lighting has been added, allowing for a whole bunch of nice lighting effects.

The searchlight effect in the video has made me think about sneaking in the game. My current idea is that enemy characters will have a harder time spotting you if you’re on a darker tile, so it’ll be a good idea to stay in the shadows when trying to sneak up on an unsuspecting victim or sniping a target from a distance.

The sneaking aspect of the game has also made me reconsider the turn-based combat I had originally planned for the game (and am using in Ascii Sector). Sneaking up on a target and trying to stay hidden in shadows will be a lot more interesting and intense if the entire game is real-time. So as I’m currently working on the gun and rifle shooting animations, I’ll first try to implement the combat in real-time and see how that works. If it’s not up to snuff, I can then always go turn-based, since the real-time combat won’t require much work as the engine is already real-time.

TechRogue

Development Video #9
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 02:26:23 PM »

Just found out about this a few minutes ago. Videos are very impressive so far! Also, thanks for supporting Linux…If you plan on selling this game I’ll certainly buy a copy. :)

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Development Video #9
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 02:26:24 PM »

Thanks! I do plan on selling the game once it’s done, so it’s good to know there’ll at least be one buyer! :D