Laserbrain Studios

Games Forum Blog Contact

Author Topic: Male characters clothed  (Read 1895 times)

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Male characters clothed
« on: January 25, 2012, 02:20:02 PM »

The clothing sprites for the male characters’ walking and running animations are now done:

Watch it in HD!

I’ve also implemented character selection with a green outline for the currently selected character. This will of course be used for selecting a character to attack, talk to, examine, and so on. I’ve begun work on the female characters next and am currently creating the clothing sprites for them.

Anthony

Male characters clothed
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 02:26:23 PM »

That looks great!! I’m working on an isometric engine and it’s SO hard. I’m totally new to programming, really. I was wondering if I could ask you some advice on setting up the engine to properly overlap sprites (i.e. behind walls or around obstacles…) I can draw a rudimentary map but when I start to put walls up I can’t figure out how to get the sprites to walk “behind” the wall. Anyway your work looks great! All those animations are really nice.

Christian Knudsen

• Administrator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
Male characters clothed
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 02:26:23 PM »

When drawing the tiles of your map, you start with the tile furthest away and work your way towards the “camera”. You then also draw everything on that tile when drawing the tile itself (i.e. characters, walls, furniture…), so that a character on a tile will be drawn before the wall on the tile in front of it. It’s all really just a matter of drawing everything in the right order. Something “behind” something else should always be drawn before the thing it’s behind. You just have to keep track of which character is on which tile. For each of my tiles, I have a CharacterHere variable that keeps track of that, so when I draw the tile, I just check the CharacterHere variable and draw the relevant character (if any). (I also keep track of which characters are moving into a tile, but that gets a bit more complicated.)